Author Topic: FSA Orbit XLII Headset  (Read 8176 times)

Paulson

• My Blog
FSA Orbit XLII Headset
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:40:24 pm »
Hi all, I'm in the middle of a build of an Audax Mk3 frame and fork project (see gallery).  One question I have relates to the headset supplied with the bike - I rang SJSC today and spoke to a very helpful member of staff, but I'm not 100% sure I've got this right as I've never worked on a sealed bearing headset before.

The kit contains the big bearing (bottom), smaller bearing (top), a little gold ring with a cut in it, the logo's black cap, and a flexible black plastic seal.

The guy I spoke to said

a) at the bottom - big seal on fork, then big bearing, then insert fork tube into head tube, and

b) slot smaller bearing, gold band and then plastic cap.

This I did, and all seems fine - EXCEPT that the flexible seal rin is 'spilling' out of the base of the headset as if it's not meant to be there!  Have I done something wrong (I havent fully tightened everything off yet, as I also want to try some extra spacers under the stem), how and where am I meant to use this little black seal ring?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

mikerr

Re: FSA Orbit XLII Headset
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:00:18 pm »
Hi Paul,
If you are having the problem I think you are.
The plastic seal fits into a slot.
Just run your fingernail round the outer edge of the seal and you should feel it locate.
Mike

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:04:47 pm »
Mike - thanks for the response.  Just so I am clear -

the seal fits into the bottom part of the headset, and you just push it into the seating til it fits?

It's just that it seems to be too large a diameter to fit into the lower bit, which is what made me think I was wrong.

I'll have another go now.

Cheers

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:05:18 pm »
Paulson,

Everything sounds right to me.  as mike said try re-seating the seal once it is all together.  If you still think there is something up take a photo and post it here - a picture is worth a 1000 emails!

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:13:51 pm »
Well, I've loosened the stem bolts, dropped the fork a few inches, and then with the bottom bearing out, put the seal into the tube and smoothed it around with a finger, then put the bottom bearing back in and the fork.  It's not protruding any more, so I assume it should be positioned internally in the head tube, as opposed to outside it?

mikerr

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:35:02 pm »
Hi Paul,
Just trying to remember.
I think I put the seal over the fork tube first, so it is resting around the fork crown.
Hold the bottom bearing up in the cup, then put the forks in.
Finally pushing the seal up into place.
Then assemble the top end.
Mike
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:37:06 pm by mikerr »

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:13:38 pm »
Mike; thanks!  The penny has dropped, as it were!  I've fitted it as you described, and all seems ok!
Thanks!

rualexander

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 06:36:05 pm »
I had the same problem figuring out where that seal should go when I got my Sherpa in October, Robin Thorn quickly pointed me in the right direction and all was well, he also emailed me the diagram for the headset which I include here for the information of others.
Note, my Sherpa came with a 'Cane Creek' headset which had me puzzled but apparently it is the exact same unit as the FSA Orbit but with a different name. My Audax Mk3 frame bought in November came with one marked with the expected FSA logos.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:39:13 pm by rualexander »

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 06:50:48 pm »
Thanks everybody for your help on this one, all sorted now!

mikerr

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 08:09:28 pm »
Paul,
Glad it all worked out okay.

Rualexander,
My Sherpa frame, which I bought in October also came with a Cane Creek headset.
I down loaded the Cane Creek video on headset fitting.
On watching it, they did not mention or use a bottom seal.
But they did show a top seal, which to me made more sense.
Fortunately, a phone call to Thorn managed to sort things out.

So, I assembled my Cane Creek headset using info for a FSA headset.
It made a very confusing start to my bike build.
Mike

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 08:49:28 am »
Your headset would have been an FSA, the split gold ring is a Cane Creek pattent and such all headsets that use it now have to have Cane Creek on them.

PhilD

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 06:35:27 pm »
Your headset would have been an FSA, the split gold ring is a Cane Creek pattent and such all headsets that use it now have to have Cane Creek on them.

Is that why it says FSA on the little cap on top of the steerer, and Cane Creek on the bottom bearing? (on my Raven Tour bought last July)

Interested because mine is failing after 5500km - it has developed "indexed steering" in the straight-ahead position which is getting rapidly worse. Bit of a bugger as I need the bike to do an audax at the weekend, an emergency trip to the LBS might be in order tomorrow (gets out wallet...)

rualexander

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 07:22:12 pm »
Is that why it says FSA on the little cap on top of the steerer, and Cane Creek on the bottom bearing? (on my Raven Tour bought last July)

Interested because mine is failing after 5500km - it has developed "indexed steering" in the straight-ahead position which is getting rapidly worse. Bit of a bugger as I need the bike to do an audax at the weekend, an emergency trip to the LBS might be in order tomorrow (gets out wallet...)

Easy job to replace the bearings yourself, might take about half an hour at most. There's lots of instructional videos on Youtube etc.
Bearings available online from various dealers, e.g. :
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2037

sbseven

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 09:56:23 pm »

Seems a bit soon for this headset to be failing. Are you in the habit of torquing down the aheadset bolt? Could you be tightening it down a bit too much and grinding the bearings/races? You only need to load the headset to *just* remove any play...

Shaun

PhilD

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 10:10:08 pm »
Seems a bit soon for this headset to be failing. Are you in the habit of torquing down the aheadset bolt? Could you be tightening it down a bit too much and grinding the bearings/races? You only need to load the headset to *just* remove any play...

Shaun

I haven't touched it since I adjusted the steering when I got the bike...but given my vast mechanical ineptitude that's probably what I've done.