Author Topic: Thorn Exp Hub and Flywheel Failure after 10,000 kms...  (Read 3252 times)

acousticmotorbike

• aidanpedreschi
Thorn Exp Hub and Flywheel Failure after 10,000 kms...
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:10:09 am »
I purchased a brand new Thorn Exp in May 2008 and have been on a RTW since July 2008.  I am currently in Chiang Mai, Thailand and when I was cycling the other day, and suddenly I couldn't back pedal, I got off my bike and tried to see if anything was caught in the chain etc.  But everything looked ok.  I was 22 kms outside the town and decided to ride back and get it looked at.  I was ok as long as I kept pedaling, but then I noticed it got very had to pedal, even dropping down the gears didn't help. 

I took the rear luggage off and spun the back wheel, it was very difficult to turn and I had no option to flag down a open back 4x4 (luckily there are lots of them around here).  When I got to the mechanic, who had done a good job on servicing my bike a week before, and comes well recommended he stripped the back hub. 

Turns out that I need a new rear hub (Shimano only sell complete units) and a new freewheel body unit and this has just set me back £80, not including £20 delivery.  My question is, would these parts still be under warranty and should they really fail after on 10,000 kms?

Now I've gotta hang around in Chiang Mai until the parts arrive....  Oh well, it's quite a nice "open prison".

Aidan
www.acousticmotorbike.com

john28july

Re: Thorn Exp Hub and Flywheel Failure after 10,000 kms...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:44:22 am »
Hello
Very nearly two whole years use? Warranty long gone!
Enjoy your wait, relax and take in the atmosphere.
Good luck with the rest of your trip.
John.

sbseven

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 04:52:22 pm »
I thought this was a Rohloff problem when I started reading!...

I think you've probably been unlucky with the XT rear hub, if it's only done 10K.

I believe you can order most individual parts, but I appreciate that your situation may be different out there...

What bit has actually failed? This website has exploded diagrams for all Shimano kit: http://www.shimanoservicecentre.co.uk/exploded_parts.php. Choose Freehub from the right hand side dropdown. There's quite a few XT hubs with different codes, all beginning with FH-M7xx.

Here's the PDF exploded diagram for FH-M755 (chosen at random): http://www.shimanoservicecentre.co.uk/SSC/shimano_parts/Freehub/FH-M755.PDF. Recognise anything?

Hope you don't have to wait too long for the new hub and enjoy the rest of your trip!

Shaun

acousticmotorbike

• aidanpedreschi
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:37:41 am »
No, not a Rohloff problem.  The right hand side cone is the problem and I'm unable to find the part here in Thailand.  I've been in contact with SJS and it appears that I have to buy the whole unit and the flywheel is also kaput.  Hopefully the two parts will be in the post (UPS) this afternoon and I can get moving again.

1    Shimano FH M770 Rear Complete Axle Assembly 3CZ 9801
Product Code: 18107    £39.99
   1    Shimano Deore XT FH-M770 Complete Freewheel Body with Fixing Bolt 3CZ 9804
Product Code: 18774    £39.99    

I'm a bit disappointed that these two have both broken after 10,000 kms, but I'm also grateful that the bike has got me this far without too much bother so far.  I'm hoping the next 10,000 are also trouble free!

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:33:30 am »
Tough luck AM.  I guess no parts are infallible.  I had a freehub go on my previous bike after 4000 miles but then the next lasted 10,000 and may well be still going strong.  Hope the repair goes smoothly.

sbseven

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:31:18 am »
...I've been in contact with SJS and it appears that I have to buy the whole unit and the flywheel is also kaput.  Hopefully the two parts will be in the post (UPS) this afternoon and I can get moving again.

1    Shimano FH M770 Rear Complete Axle Assembly 3CZ 9801
Product Code: 18107    £39.99
   1    Shimano Deore XT FH-M770 Complete Freewheel Body with Fixing Bolt 3CZ 9804
Product Code: 18774    £39.99

Whoa, that's expensive! In that case, it would have been cheaper to get the whole hub and swap the parts.  ::)

SJS sells the complete FH-M770 rear hub unit for £44.99! - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shimano-Shimano-Deore-XT-FH-M770-Rear-Cassette-Hub--Silver-14349.htm

I'd chase them for a refund (and maybe hassle about slightly suspect service).

(No Shimano hubs where you are? I'd have thought they'd be cheaper in Thailand...)

Shaun

acousticmotorbike

• aidanpedreschi
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:04:14 am »
Shaun:  Thanks for that link, looks like it is exactly what I need.  Can't blame SJS though, the guy in the shop here told me I needed the two seperate parts!!!  They should be here tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be back on the road by Weds at the latest.

Aidan

sbseven

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:20:21 pm »
Can't blame SJS though, the guy in the shop here told me I needed the two seperate parts!!!  They should be here tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be back on the road by Weds at the latest.

Maybe I'd still have expected SJSC to coment that the two parts they were sending you were nearly twice the hub price even if you weren't aware...

Glad to here that you'll soon be back on the road! Safe riding.

(Nice journal and photos BTW!).

Shaun