Author Topic: A simple thing to help clipping connectors back together.  (Read 2555 times)

gearoidmuar

A simple thing to help clipping connectors back together.
« on: February 10, 2010, 07:55:18 pm »
I've a damaged thumb, a non-healed Bennett's fracture, a small one. This makes certain manoeuvres with my thumb, painful while others bother me not a whit. Clipping the connectors together is painful and it takes a fair bit of force. I wondered what might help.

A wooden clothes-peg. You can grip the upper wire above the connector with it, there being a convenient slot in the standard peg. You can grip the lower bit with the other hand.
It's simple and it helps.

geocycle

Re: A simple thing to help clipping connectors back together.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:35:08 am »
Good idea.  When it's cold the connectors can be a bit of a pain.  I've sometimes resorted to the spoke key notch on my old fashioned metal tyre levers.  Now the cables have stretched though they are not usually too bad.

sbseven

gearoidmuar

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 07:25:09 pm »
It is indeed, but with the clothespeg you don't need to use your thumb at all for the upper connector. It really is dead easy to do.

gearoidmuar

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:09:30 am »

This photo shows how perfectly a clothes-peg fits on the connector. There is a thin slot which takes the wire. You don't even have to use your thumb on the upper connector. You can press down with considerable force on the peg. It turns a nightmare into a doddle! A doddlemare if you like a new word!