Author Topic: Wooden mudguards anyone?  (Read 2240 times)

travelling

Wooden mudguards anyone?
« on: January 18, 2010, 02:07:03 pm »
I'm in the process of adding to my collection by buying a surly big dummy and saw a few nicely personalised ones. One thing I noticed but had not personally seen before was wooden mudguards and one maker in particular does an incredible job.Thinking that the classic road crowd and single maniacs might have been looking for something like this I thought I'd pass on the info for anyone if they wanted a look

http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/

they truly are a beautiful piece of kit..I'll let you know how they fit and stand up to the test of time when mine arrive

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Wooden mudguards anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 06:39:46 pm »
I fitted-up a set on one of my bikes and just had to stand back and marvel at the appearance afterward -- gorgeous!

Unfortunately, I removed them after a couple rainy rides.  The ones I have are flat, and I found that with no "sides" any water spray quickly ran 'round the sides and soaked me almost as effectively as if they had not been present.  Too bad.  Sure looked pretty!

The hardware (struts and mounting brackets) was a bit sketchy as well, and a disappointment in not being up to the wooden fenders in either quality or appearance.  Your experience may be different, as there have been several models/brands/types available over the years, and one I saw awhile ago mimicked the shape of a conventional aluminum or plastic fender, being contoured laterally and including proper sides to contain spray.

Best,

Dan.