Author Topic: schmidy dynohub for expedition touring?  (Read 5016 times)

arikira

schmidy dynohub for expedition touring?
« on: October 23, 2009, 10:53:25 pm »
hi everyone,
im trying to sarch the web for oonfo regarding touring with the dyno hub.
ive found only few reports which are not quite informative as to how durable those hubs are over few years period.
the only three years warranty also "lights" a bulb...
does anyone here have more interesting info?
cheers,
arik

julk

Re: schmidy dynohub for expedition touring?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 10:09:42 am »
As far as I know  the service interval for the cartridge bearings is 50,000 km.
The number of years between needing service would thus reflect how far you cycle each year.

I tour with mine and it performs well, no obvious drag or problems. Not sure how it copes with total immersion in rivers etc.
Using a modern light system like Supernova E3 Pro front and rear lights gives an always available excellent light for not much weight.

Note that any increase in weight is offset by the lighter weight of your wallet!

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 02:49:02 pm »
Note that any increase in weight is offset by the lighter weight of your wallet!

;D ROFL ;D

My current lights setup includes a small lead acid battery and two 10 watt headlamps - this gives lots of light and only cost ~£30  but it is very heavy and I have a habit of forgetting to charge the lead acid.   For the last few years I've been hankering after a SON Dynohub but I can never quite get myself to part with the cash. (I am sure Ebenezer is my distant uncle)

Maybe I will treat myself this year.  I have done a fair amount of research on the hub and have yet to find any negative comments on the web  other than the cost  As far as I can make out it is a fit and forget component - it doesn't break down and doesn't require any special care.  In short it should be perfect for long tours.  NB The warranty period is now 5 years - see http://www.nabendynamo.de/service/pdf/Service_SON_e.pdf

Stutho

pdamm

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 07:55:39 am »
Mine is still going strong at 29,000km of touring and commuting, I think it is great.

These guys took one on a tour from UK to Australia. 

http://www.mark-ju.net/bike_ride/equipment/index.htm

After 22,000km it was starting to play up and so had it replaced (under warrantee)

http://www.mark-ju.net/bike_ride/equipment/broke.htm

Maybe they had some bad luck, I am getting better mileage out of mine but my bike is un-laden most of the time.  However it seems like they had some time to deal with the problem instead of a catastrophic failure.

Peter

pdamm

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 11:19:06 pm »
After bragging about my front hub I have just noticed a slight movement in the right (connector) side of my SON28.  Looks like I’ll need to send it off to the local Schmidt distributor to have the bearings replaced.

Peter

avdave

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 03:28:38 pm »
Mine is over 3 years old and has now been running off road all year round on a daily commute for the last 15 months or so and has been fine. I'm now considering a front light that will make it useful off road rather than a backup for the battery lights and the primary source for road sections.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 05:14:05 am »
;D ROFL ;D

For the last few years I've been hankering after a SON Dynohub but I can never quite get myself to part with the cash. (I am sure Ebenezer is my distant uncle)

NB The warranty period is now 5 years - see http://www.nabendynamo.de/service/pdf/Service_SON_e.pdf

Stutho

Unless you're the sort of feller who tells the dealer, "Just fit the best, regardless," I'm not so sure you really need a SON. The Shimano's with the Ultegra bearings and seals are a quarter the price and probably as good for all but the most demanding use. I have both SON and Shimano hub dynamos on various bikes, and I can't for the life of me see a difference, never mind a difference that justifies a 4x price differential. And, frankly, if SON dynos clocking out before 30K, as reported in this thread, is any kind of a norm, there will be no point whatsoever in paying 4x the Shimano price for a SON.

For someone who will mainly commute, it is worth noting that one reason that in practice I prefer the Shimano hub dynamos is that they work well at lower speeds. On the very steep hill before my house, where I slow down to a crawl (1st gear on a 38x16 Rohloff -- a hamster on a treadmill walks faster!) the SON dies but the Shimano still gives current to light the lamp.

I'm not saying the SON is a bad dynohub; it is clearly excellent. I'm saying I'd be hard put to justify the price outside of a general "just fit the best" attitude, or for the cafe racer kudos. But the Shimano at a quarter the SON price is also excellent.

More: The Shimano hub dynamo uniquely offers the option of what I consider absolutely the best fit and forget brakes: Shimano's roller brakes. (I have on various bikes several types of roller brakes, disc brakes, Magura rim hydraulics.) No one who has tried Shimano's 75/70 series F/R roller brakes can be in any doubt that they stop as well as disc brakes, without the bother, the maintenance and the cost disc brakes. Of course, with roller brakes, you don't replace rims every so often because rim brakes have worn them through. Roller brake maintenance is a squirt of rim brake grease when they get loud through a rubber bung, a clean ten second operation about every 5K. That's a very large advantage for the Shimano hub dynamo if the price differential doesn't convince you. I can't think of a better all-weather brake than Shimano's rollers.

HTH.

Hobbes

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 05:45:57 am »
As far as I know  the service interval for the cartridge bearings is 50,000 km.
The number of years between needing service would thus reflect how far you cycle each year.

I tour with mine and it performs well, no obvious drag or problems. Not sure how it copes with total immersion in rivers etc.
Using a modern light system like Supernova E3 Pro front and rear lights gives an always available excellent light for not much weight.

Heh-heh! Look superior and say you spent it on German engineering punctilio! The warranty on a SON hub dynamo is five years and nowhere in the information that came with mine (a slip of paper in German about spoking the hub) does it say anything about the bearings being rebuilt at 50K; instead the text implies that it lasts forever if not abused. But 5 years and 50K sounds like a careful match!

BUMM CYO

I've now retired all my big battery lights because they are no longer required; hub dynamo lights are at last good enough. I strongly recommend BUMM's Cyo R Plus as an all-round commuter/touring light; that's the nearfield version; I also have the racer version but it gives you less for the same money in not having the very useful sidethrow of the nearfield and in not having the reflector built in as a safety feature, and in return the racer Cyo doesn't offer you more light or a further throw. The Cyo is better than Volkswagen lights back in the days when they were 6V, and they weren't bad at all. Until a few weeks ago I also recommended the B&M D-Toplight XS Plus for the back but the brand new BUMM Toplight Line Plus is supposedly superior in ensuring one's bike is seen by cars; I'll report when mine arrives and has been tried.

I should add that the Cyo has the best standlight I've ever seen. It uses a capacitor to continue operating the light at about half power and fading away for much, much longer than the four minutes promised in the advertising.

The one I have and recommend is Cyo R Senso Plus, which stands for the nearfield, built-in reflector, automatic switching (for both front and rear lights if you wish), standlight-equipped model, model number B&M Cyo 175QRSNDi. I keep mine on day and night, using it as a daylight running light.

BLINKIES

Though not much use for tourers, who don't want to carry batteries, I supplement my hub dynamo lights with front and rear blinkers day and night. The batteries (2x AA) in the Cateye TL-LD1100 I replace at 100 hours merely as routine; it is supposed to last 200 hours. At the front I use a Polaris L120W (SUNN) blinker that Chainreaction Cycles no longer stocks but which is still sold as a SUNN by Deal Extreme in Hong Kong in both front and rear versions -- I'll get the rear one when my last Cateye breaks (the current Cateye LD1100 isn't my first --- the end cap eventually shakes loose, falls off, and renders the lamp inoperative, which brasses me off as those lights are expensive and should be better made; when you've spent more on Cateye than on BUMM lights it is time to drop Cateye dead). The SUNN light goes about 40 hours on rechargeables, 50h on alkalines; I carry 3x AAA spares.

I recommend blinkies wholeheartedly; I don't think it matters much which you buy any more, as long as you buy strong ones; what matters is to aim them considerately but to use them ruthlessly when drivers don't match your consideration.

With these lights in the lanes, cars visibly slow for my bike. The few who don't volunteer have the blinker, aimed 12 degrees off straight ahead and downwards to a horizon only half a meter high at a hundred meters (the Cyo is set to one meter high at 100m), swept through the passenger cabin by tilting the bike and turning the bars; those drivers volunteer immediately to slow to a safe speed for both of us. Drivers behind me also slow until they can positively identify my bike.

It is an ironic comment on the attitude of drivers that when I wear a luminous Sam Browne and am thus instantly identifiable as a cyclist, they slow less readily than they slow for these lights which they are not used to yet... Fear of damage to their cars is the real motive.

German and Dutch riders should note that blinkies on bikes with hub dynamos are illegal in their home countries.

Hobbes