Author Topic: 3 cm high 1" headset?  (Read 9518 times)

Dude

3 cm high 1" headset?
« on: May 01, 2004, 06:15:52 pm »
I am renovating a very nice classic MTB-frame with a 1" headset. The shop owner that sold me a new stiff fork told me it would fit so I went ahead with beadblasting and powdercoating them in matching colour. But I have now found out there is only 3 cm of fork tube space to play with and both Shimano Dura Ace and Campagnolo Record are taller than that.
He also claims a Shimano XT will fit and have ordered one for me but I think he is wrong! I donīt see why it would be any lower than the Dura Ace.
Any one here that knows of a make or/and where I could find a 1 inch threaded headset that have a stack height of 3 cm or less?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 06:16:39 pm by Dude »

marcg

Re: 3 cm high 1" headset?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 06:46:32 am »
If your dealer is recommending items for you which turn out not to be suitable then you could take them all back to him.
You are entitled to do so.
This doesn't answer your question, of course, but it does give you an alternative route.  Your dealer won't be happy about it but he has no choice and you can force him to refund you if you want.

Dude

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 09:58:50 pm »
I have stripped and painted the fork already so it IS my only option...!
I have found two or three headsetīs with a low stackheight.
Rithey Logic Scuzzy(3 different versions): 32 or 33 mm(website say 28 mm!)
Tange Passage Steel: 30,3 mm
Tange MA-60: 31,2 mm
Shimano 105 old version(pre -98?)

Problem is I am getting conflicting reports on the acctual heigh on these, so I donīt feel comfortable to order any one just yeat. I am instead trying to convince this chap it his responsebility to order it for me. If it does not fit itīs problem too!
I thought I give him a week or so before puting down my foot ;)

marcg

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 10:25:09 pm »
The fact that youy have stripped and painted the fork does not necesarily prevent you from returning it and claiming a refud.

Dude

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 09:18:48 pm »
Thankīs for your support!!!
I will ofcours use that option but only when everything else has failed!
He told me today he has ordered an old Shimano Exage(lx?) headset, and that this will fit. I need to put this bike together cause I think the frame is to big for me! I therefor have to find a byer before everyone have made their purchases for the season.