Author Topic: Zero chain wear after 1150 miles ??  (Read 3237 times)

gearoidmuar

Zero chain wear after 1150 miles ??
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:54:18 am »
I've been touring with my new Thorn Raven Tour. I cannot measure any chain wear after 1150 miles. None at all. I've never seen anything like this. Is this usual? With derailleurs you would be replacing a chain at this juncture.

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Zero chain wear after 1150 miles ??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:28:31 pm »
I don't know about NO wear but it is not unusual to get 10,000miles+ out of the chain on a Rohloff bike. 

My first Sram chain lasted more than 10,0000, but I was seeing signification elongation (3/16" per a link - may have being more).  The point is with a Rohloff You don't need to be so fussy about a chain that has some extension - you are only warring one spur gear and one chain ring so it is cheaper to let all the parts of the drive chain ware together rather than switch the chain out at a shorter service interval. 

I would say that I am less than half way through the life of my second chain (16000miles total) I am still using my original spur and chaining - on there 2nd side.  When I change the chain again  (in a year or two) I will have to buy a new chain ring and spur gear. 

Which will mean that in ~6 years of cycling & ~ 24000miles I will have only bought 2 new chains 1 spur gear and 1 chain ring  ~£100 (which is less than I spent maintaining  my  road bike for just  two years.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:31:02 pm by stutho »

gearoidmuar

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 01:48:32 pm »
Thanks

bike_the_planet

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 02:32:16 am »
I've been touring with my new Thorn Raven Tour. I cannot measure any chain wear after 1150 miles. None at all. I've never seen anything like this. Is this usual? With derailleurs you would be replacing a chain at this juncture.

There are several reasons for this:

Modern derailleurs have shallow teeth to help with quick shifting, and thin sprockets, especially on 10 speed cassettes. This results in drastically increased wear. A Rohloff sprocket, by contrast, has large teeth and is of a thicker steel. The same goes for the chainring if you use a thicker one like a Middleburn or a Thorn single chainring. That means a significantly larger surface area for the force to be applied to on each tooth's griding edge, and therefore significantly reduced wear.

The chain is, or should, always be in a straight line. On a derailleur, running the chain from, say the large chain ring to a sprocket halfway on the cassette results in the chain changing angle suddenly when it reaches the sprocket. This causes significant wear on a derailleur chain. You can hear the noise.

On a Rohloff you can use inexpensive multi-purpose lube oil for the chain itself. Provided you wipe the excess off leaving the chain's surface dry, it keeps the bushes better lubricated (you can hear how smoth and silent it is when you do this). On a derailleur, the 'scraping' action that occurs when shifting if you use standard oil, results in grime sticking to the chain, making it less efficient. This means the chain stretches less over time, reducing the distortion on the socket's teeth.

I have done an estimated 12-15,000 kms on mine and the sprocket shows little sign of wear.

People are always surprised when I suggest that the cost IS a reason you should buy a Rohloff!

Now you've got extra cash to spend on the Rohloff oil  ;D

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:03:13 pm »
bike the planet,

All very true!  Just out of interest have you measured the extension in your chain?  (Not that this should be a yard stick to beat yourself with, given what I said in my previous mail)

When I changed out my original chain my spur dear still looked almost new,  I switched it over to the other side anyway.  However my chain ring looked very well used.  When I eventual wear out the other side of the said chain ring I am intending to upgrade to steel chain ring.  (Surly make them)  I imaging the combo of a steel chain ring, steel spur an nickel plated chain will be good for 20,000 miles per a chain.

For reference my current chain ring is a Blackspire downhill  it a single speed design with full tooth height.

bike_the_planet

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:11:00 am »
bike the planet,

All very true!  Just out of interest have you measured the extension in your chain?  (Not that this should be a yard stick to beat yourself with, given what I said in my previous mail)

No, I must admit I haven't. All this Rohloff business has made me exceedingly lazy. ;D  I can't be bothered cleaning derailleurs anymore or measuring chains. I just ride the damn thing now until either the sprocket or the chainring looks worn and then turn around or replace. I suppose that sooner or later I will have to invest in a monster chain whip and a Rohloff sprocket removal tool. I have all that fun to look forward to...

When I changed out my original chain my spur dear still looked almost new,  I switched it over to the other side anyway.  However my chain ring looked very well used.  When I eventual wear out the other side of the said chain ring I am intending to upgrade to steel chain ring.  (Surly make them)  I imaging the combo of a steel chain ring, steel spur an nickel plated chain will be good for 20,000 miles per a chain.

For reference my current chain ring is a Blackspire downhill  it a single speed design with full tooth height.

My single Thorn chainring looks slightly worn, but not excessively so. You're right - a steel one would probably last quite a bit longer