Author Topic: Alternative to Lumotec front light with Schmidt dynohub?  (Read 3912 times)

danfoto

Alternative to Lumotec front light with Schmidt dynohub?
« on: September 17, 2009, 09:15:14 pm »
Long story short - the lady wife can't ride her brand new (as in came today) Sherpa at night because the switch on the back of the fitted Lumotec front light is dodgy.

While I'm waiting for Thorn to send a replacement, can anybody please tell me if there's a better front light available that's compatible with the output of the standard fit Schmidt dynohub?  It needs to be switchable, but preferably not by means of a mini toggle switch of a type that's only intended for indoor use.

john28july

Re: Alternative to Lumotec front light with Schmidt dynohub?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:10:35 am »
The lamp that you have is a good one. The toggle works well and you should stick with it. I have E6 lamps on three bikes and in my opinion are no better than the Lumotec on my other Winter bike.
John.

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:23:17 am »
I can recommend the B+M IQ fly very bright, reasonable value and simple to use.  If I were buying now I'd probably go for the IQ Cyo.  The ultimate and much more expensive options would be a schmidt edelux or a supernova E3.

danfoto

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 04:52:10 pm »
Thank you gentlemen.  After talking this over with Paul at SJS this morning we've gone for a B+M Lumotec IQ Cyo N Plus in order to get more brightness (60 Lux), the standlight function and above all LED instead of halogen bulb.  Hopefully we'll also get better build quality.  We shall see.  At night, hopefully ...

kwkirby01

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 07:06:04 pm »
Thank you gentlemen.  After talking this over with Paul at SJS this morning we've gone for a B+M Lumotec IQ Cyo N Plus in order to get more brightness (60 Lux), the standlight function and above all LED instead of halogen bulb.  Hopefully we'll also get better build quality.  We shall see.  At night, hopefully ...
Go for the "senso" version - the switch on the IQ Cyo is difficult to turn in my exeprience. Good light though; I used mine all last winter.
Kevin K. Glasgow