Author Topic: S&S couplings on the tandem?  (Read 4193 times)

percussionken

S&S couplings on the tandem?
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:57:18 pm »
Hi there

Already have this on my touring bike and they have been great when I have been flying. And now even BA is going to cost so my question is;

You can have this couplings on the Thorn tandem. The first alternative is to have three in the front, a two piece tandem.
Are there any out there who have used this alternative on flights? If so, what do you use for the bigger rear part, protection and to walk with it for some small stretches?
If money where no object I would go for the three piece tandem but thats to much money.
And I live in Sweden and I hate to drive and Missus cant drive so driving down to the continent is no alternative.
So please anyone out there who have been flying with a two piece tandem who could tell me about your experience.
Thank You
Kenneth

ernie

Re: S&S couplings on the tandem?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:26:41 pm »
hi kenneth , we flew thai air recently with a 2 piece tandem without problems, they were only interested in weight not baggage size. we didnt have to pay any extra as we were within our baggage allowance. we used a large bike box ,bubble wrap and camp mats for protection . however we were well over the carry on allowance (weight wise)with our hand luggage which was in ortliebe rear panniers, but they never weigh those and they fit in the maximum dimensions given for hand luggage.you could also box up the two parts seperately to make the boxes more manageable. cheers ,calum.