Technical > Transmission

thorn chainguards

(1/10) > >>

anweald:
Anyone know the exact dimensions of the Thorn chainguards esp the one for PCD 104mm for 44t rings? Also its weight and how it manages to not get in the way of the chain.

I'm really only wanting a trouser-hem-saver but those plastic chainring attachments don't seem available to buy separately. maybe they're not as light as they look anyway.

pyjamas:
I saw an elderly lady with one of those very upright bicycles: when she was holding the bike, the handlebars were up near her chest.  She had hub gears, obviously, and a fully enclosed chainguard.  What struck me was that a Rohloff hub gear should also be suitable for a chainguard, which should go a long way to protecting the chain from wear.  Has Thorn ever considered this, or ever fitted Rohloff bikes with chainguards?

JimK:
Here is my big clever idea:

I think a big problem with chain guards is that fitting them is very tricky. They need to hook onto or clear so many surfaces... maybe a perfect application for 3-d printing!?

il padrone:
A number of people on here use and recommend the Hebie Chainglider. There is one made specifically for the Rohloff hub. These are lighter plastic guards that do not need frame fittings. I have one that will go on the bike when the current drivetrain wears out. Note: the Thorn double-sided chainring does not run with the Hebie, it's too wide and causes friction. Use a thinner alloy or steel ring.

John Saxby:
+1 for the Hebie Chainglider, in my case fitted to my Raven with a 38 x 17 ratio.

Beyond the various Hebie products, however, there's a huge range of possibilities here:  http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=43

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version