Author Topic: Chain Lub  (Read 34890 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Chain Lub
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 06:15:49 pm »
pisbakplamuurmessen
I see Google struggles there lol
No kidding, Jawine!

I had to do some uh..."editing" and ended up with "putty knife". I did spend a few moments pondering the translation-suggested use, but I clean my bathroom fixtures more frequently than the name implied!  :D

All the best,

Dan. (...who loves languages and wishes he didn't have to depend on GoogleTranslate to understand them!)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2020, 02:59:44 am »
Chain lube, yet again...

Silca (yes, the pump and now high-end tool people) have introduced a new wet lubricant they claim has tremendous anti-wear properties:

https://silca.cc/pages/synergetic-wet-lube

Anyone tried it yet? Friction reduction is only part of the equation when it comes to bicycle chain lube, as our Chainglider adherents can confirm. Exposure to dust, grit, rain all introduce various forms of contaminants and "grinding paste" into the mix. If this lubricant reduces friction but is sticky and attracts and holds grit, then real-world performance could be very different from lab results.

I have no financial or personal interest in the product, just curious if anyone has found it "better" in practical use.

Best,

Dan.

Aleman

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2020, 01:18:51 pm »
If it's a wet lube then no matter what is claimed, an exposed chain will collect dirt forming a grinding paste with time. I can't see me going back to "Wet" lubes having tried Wax plus PTFE (10:1)

Andre Jute

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2020, 03:11:07 pm »
Dan. (...who loves languages and wishes he didn't have to depend on GoogleTranslate to understand them!)

Pffft. I learned Russian, a language in modern times spoken with an ugly Ukrainian accent, to understand the Russian operas. Their lyrics were worse than the Italian type of, "Darling, send out for another pizza! And meanwhile, scratch just a little higher up my back!", just transliterated to the steppes, with extra melodrama.

I used dry wax for several years, inside those big Dutch chain cases of various kinds. The wax worked exceedingly well: for instance, you'd think a chain washed in paraffin and then in white spirits would have not a trace of liquidized chain lube on it, but the white wax falling in balls to the bottom of the chain case would be ever lighter shades of grey. The problem with the wax is that it doesn't last very long even inside a chain case, which is a nuisance to take off and replace, and on an open chain I wouldn't want to commute on dry wax because you'd be waxing every few days.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 03:26:17 pm by Andre Jute »

in4

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2020, 09:54:13 pm »
Star Poster badge for Andre today!
Wrapping up some practical cycling advice with tales of Russian and Italian opera is a skill to be admired and never undervalued. I always read Andre’s posts at least twice! 

leftpoole

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2020, 11:37:36 am »
Yes it is. Prefer sudacrem though.

(I actually pondered a few weeks ago that my tub of vaseline is probably good protecting my bottom

Try Conotrane actually available many Pharmacies and even on Amazon UK. It works better than any Chamois cream and better than Sudcrem in my experience. Smells nicer also!
As for on the drive chain. Any wet or dry cycle chain lube works.

HugoC

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2021, 05:02:53 pm »
This is an old post nevertheless I just wanted to add my experience with Squirt Lube. It's fantastic! The secret is making sure all existing lube is removed from the chain before applying; this includes factory applied lube on new chains. The chain attracts very little dirt, even in wet conditions and chain wear appears to be significantly less than that when a wet lube is applied.