Author Topic: stainless stem bolts?  (Read 3093 times)

geocycle

stainless stem bolts?
« on: May 21, 2009, 04:55:01 pm »
Hi guys, the heads of the bolts on my stem (standard thorn stem on raven tour) are quite badly rusted after 2.5 years of constant use.  Although it's not a major problem yet they look unsightly and the allen recess could begin to erode.  I'd like to replace these with stainless steel but they seem to be a non-standard size -M7.  I'm pretty sure it is this one:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Thorn-Thorn-Front-Loading-Alloy-Ahead-Stem-1-1-8-Inch-or-28.6-mm--150-mm-+-17-Deg--Black-4496.htm

Has anyone else replaced these bolts and found a supplier?

expr

Re: stainless stem bolts?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:10:19 pm »
I don't have that stem but I do have a thorn stem of which I have used M6 stainless. I take it you have tried an m6 screw in it and it's a loose fit.

I only changed the screws that affix it to the fork  tube, so will have a look tommorrow to see what the thread going into the head itself is. There is a screw size M7 available but it's not standard practice to use that size, it could be unc/ or unf thread.

Will investigate.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 10:13:55 pm by expr »

expr

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:07:14 pm »
Mine is definetly M6, but I have checked on one of my other bikes and that is M7. I will have a look on the net to see if there is a supplier.

Ok here is a supplier   http://www.polished-stainless.com/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/3534?opendocument&part=4
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:17:18 pm by expr »

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:11:44 pm »
Many thanks, much appreciated!

expr

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 11:00:27 pm »
Just one note, the style of the head is most probably going to be a standard cap head (allen) hex.

You mentioned that you wanted button head, this style is a very flat slightly raised in the middle and will not fit in the stem, I'm not to sure of the name of the taper head allen screw you are refering to.( if it has one )

However you can very easy reshape a standard cap head allen screw in to the standard shape used on the stem. Simply put the screw thread into a drill and lightly clamp in the chuck and then while rotating the drill you can emery paper the end of the screw head to your desired shape, I have done this many times to produce custom screws. After you have got the shape you can then polish with 1500grit paper and then autosol metal polish to get a mirror finish.

Just had a quick look now and the name comes under a couple of styles either (taperd cap head) or (conical head)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:07:12 pm by expr »

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:34:49 pm »
Thanks again expr.  I'll have a look at what I can find and might have to do some mods as use suggest.