Author Topic: Thorn stored 11years from new  (Read 2767 times)

DubblyDubblyDubbly

Thorn stored 11years from new
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:21:39 am »
I've become the very fortunate owner of a 1998 Thorn Audax that has never been ridden and kept in a garden shed since purchase...the accompanying shoes never had the cleats fitted. I have all the original docs... the receipt was £1315-95... probably nearer £2k in todays money.There is some minor surface rust to the Shimano M535 dual sided pedals, on the rear hub between the frame and the wheel and a tiny paint scratch on the top bar of the frame where it must have hit something in the shed.
I did 2 x 15 mile runs over the weekend. I had one problem with the front derailleur. After 25 miles I found I could not change down from the top crank. To recover the operation, I pressed down and pulled up the SIS shift on and was then able to change down. The problem never came back.
As it's never been used in 11 years from new is there anything obvious I should do from a servicing view before taking it on several 15-25 mile runs over the next few weeks ?
I've never had a new bike of this spec before... I assume it will need "running in" and cables etc will stretch. How many miles should I do before it needs a service ?
I suspect it's a Thorn Mark 1.  The order form has 897 167 RS which I believe to be their reference for the standard Audax. It was ordered March 1998 and delivered 3rd April .
The down tube has 4 numbers
Rear 753 stay
Rear 708 Tube
Top 653 tube
Steerer
Tube
Fork
Blades 531C.
The forks have a single 531 sticker.
Rims are Mavic MA40's with Panaracer Pasela tyres
Frame is O/S 575
San Marco Rolls seat
Shimano RX100 spec with upgrade Ultegra 9 Speed cassette with Sedis 9 spd chain
There's very little natural light in the shed where it was stored and the tyres were still partially inflated... not bad for 11year and one month. The only unusual noise comes from rubbing on the flappy bit on the bottom of the front mudguard, otherwise it rides and stops like a dream.

spoon boy

Re: Thorn stored 11years from new
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:38:45 am »
Good find

after that amount of time the first point to inspect I feel would be anything rubber, tyres, inner tubes, brake pads etc Check the wheel bearings/headset/gears etc for grease/oils to male sure everything is lubed and for me I would have probably squirted some cable lube down the cables to ensure they aren't running dry

As you've already had a few test runs then you must feel it is okay but if in doubt at all Thorn/sjs seem always tend to be happy to chat maybe a call to them? or if your close enough possibly pop it down for a service or ask any of the members if there is a bike shop close to you that has a good reputation and get it serviced there?

enjoy the ride although your post looks more like an advert for an impending sale  :D

DubblyDubblyDubbly

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:22:24 pm »
Definitely not for sale...the wife might be on the market soon though judging by her response to me disappearing on my new toy twice at the weekend. I had some replies/posts on another forum commenting on the vintage  etc so when I discovered this forum I just cut and pasted the contents of my posts.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 04:52:54 pm »
You may of already done this but as a point of urgency remove the seat post and re lube it - I prefer copper grease others vary.  A stuck seat post can be a frame killer!

Congratulations!