Author Topic: Carrying pro cameras 'at the ready'?  (Read 6059 times)

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
Carrying pro cameras 'at the ready'?
« on: April 23, 2009, 11:34:09 pm »
I don't think there is a solution to this but i thought I'd ask anyway...

I do a lot of bird photography with pro camera(s) and very large tele lens. Generally my work is done from a car but I'd love to be able to do at least some from my Thorn Sterling. Unfortunately I haven't come across a way of carrying a large, heavy camera and lens safely and securely but 'at the ready' on a bike for those surprise sightings. Has anyone come across a solution to this problem?
Brian.

Chadlington

Re: Carrying pro cameras 'at the ready'?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 04:02:39 pm »
I'd love a solution to this too. Having thoughts about how to mount a holster case vertically in the sort of position a bar bag would normally be. Take a look at the pics of my Raven Tour here http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2026.0

Imagine being able to mount a holster case - sort of strapped to the front of the accessory bars, down across the handlebars, and then attached to the bottom accessory bar as well. That was one idea to play with.

Otherwise, frame bags were my next source of inspiration - could you mount a holster somewhere within the frame?

Alternatively the kind of slingshot bag you can swap from rear to front quickly - but I'd hate to cycle with one.

Surely someone's solved this before though??

freddered

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:05:31 pm »
I don't think you can do any better than an Ortleib Bar Bag (I think they may even do camera specific inserts).  You can buy camera-case foam to cut to shape if needed. Ortleibs are generally considered to be tougher and more waterproof than the rest.

I've seen handlebar mounted 'tripods' but I'd suggest they would transfer vibrations straiight to the camera if you rode with camera mounted.

freddered

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:08:51 pm »
Chadlington nipped in while I was typing.

I couldn't bring myself to mount an expensive camera in such a vulnerable position.

My vote is for putting it in Chadlington's bar bag. I find it easy to access camera from bar bag, even on the move if necessary.

Chadlington

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 04:43:19 pm »
The bar bag itself is good for a small DSLR, but anything larger won't go.
A pro camera with a 300mm lens or greater can be at least a foot long if not more.
You'd want that very well protected and they're not light at all. Will give it some more thought!

Chadlington

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 04:46:16 pm »
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=214.0

That surly nice front rack could be some part of a solution.... Holster, vertically between an accessory bar below the handlebars and then supported by the rack underneath? Imagine some black powder coated risers from rack to bars to "frame" the holster? Dunno. There's a way somehow in that lot.... I'm not being v. helpful for a Friday afternoon. Sorry.

freddered

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:05:15 pm »
You could definitely build something from the classic metal photo cases bolted to a rack.

If it were me I'd fit one to a rear rack and fit a prop-stand to the bike so I could jump off bike, flip out prop-stand and access camera.  Nothing worse that wasting time trying to lean your bike against something unsuitable.

I guess it depends how quickly you want access to the camera.  Without a prop stand you may find that the bike tends to fall over in your haste.

pdamm

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 03:51:19 am »
Rafiki

A handle bar basket comes to mind.  Something like this

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Topeak-Topeak-Front-Handlebar-Basket-with-Fixer-3-Quick-Release-Bracket-16534.htm

Because of the weight of the camera you want to carry, you could mount a second stem with an accessory bar below your handle bar and rest or attach the lower part of the basket to the accessory bar.  You could even use a second quick release mounting there.  This would reduce the torque on the main handle bar mount and increase the weight carrying capacity of the basket.

SJS have several different baskets and a few different options for the mounting.

Peter

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 07:23:48 am »
......... and fit a prop-stand to the bike so I could jump off bike, flip out prop-stand and access camera.  Nothing worse that wasting time trying to lean your bike against something unsuitable.

I agree but, when I was in email discussion with Thorn whilst specifying my Sterling, I was informed that:

"Propstands - These work well but it will invalidate your frame warranty if one is fitted..........If the bike falls over with a stand fitted it can possibily damage the frame or it can be clamped too tightly and dent the tubes."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 07:27:11 am by rafiki »
Brian.

Chadlington

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 02:00:28 pm »
http://www.click-stand.com/Click-Stand_Products.html

These would not invalidate the frame warranty.....

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 04:58:56 pm »
Very interesting.. It looks very well made. It would need some sort of plate to stand onto on sandy soil out in the bush though I guess.
Brian.