Author Topic: Thorn Enduro  (Read 3140 times)

DavidC

Thorn Enduro
« on: March 22, 2009, 04:52:52 pm »
I have a Thorn Enduro which I love. But... it is so heavy. I know its bomb proof and I know I weight 95 kilos, and I know light weight kit can be fragile - but there might be a way to lose weight without compromising strength!

Any thoughts?

brummie

Re: Thorn Enduro
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:15:54 pm »
Special 'K' for breakfast, followed by a milkshake for lunch... ?

No, but seriously: Carbon Rigid forks & converting to a 'Stan-Notubes' tubeless system will shed a few pounds.

DavidC

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:56:30 pm »
I said without compromising strength - the special K and shake would do that! Fair point though, easier to lose pounds from the rider than the bike, but not really for this forum!

The ridged fork would be light (got a pace RC31 for my commuting bike), but don't fancy thrashing round glentress without front suspension.

Hamish

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 10:28:08 pm »
I have a Catalyst - which I also love.  It is set up as a commuter/tourer with rigid forks.  It is great to ride and not slow- but is also heavy- I'd like to lighten it but it is not obvious how.  Shwalbe Marathon Plus make it heavy as do the rims - but I need the bombprooness.  For off road i have a titanium hardtail - it is much lighter and flies up hill - but no Rohloff.  I'd like to combine the best attributes of both.

jimmer

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:23:45 pm »
Any mention of a Catalyst and I feel compelled to contribute something to the discussion.

I've not weighed my trusty Cat but when it's running in MTB mode (HS 33s, LT thudbuster, B 17, Panaracer Fire XCs) it doesn't feel a whole lot heavier than the hardtails that others ride and is comparable to the full sussers. The comfort inherant in the steel frame and good design pays off on longer rides, you'll be in a state to climb and concentrate on the downhill at the end of the day.

I've been round Coed Y Brenin on an Al (6061) framed Kona Nu Nu with CrMo Project 2 forks (my first MTB), ended up with arms like Popeye. Couldn't imagine trying Glentress so equiped.

Yours, James

avdave

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:09:55 pm »
Another catalyst owner here. With Magura Odur forks and a Son dynamo hub it is very heavy and there is only 60kg of me to move it along. Having said that it rides very nicely and despite being an off road commuter it needs next to no looking after. However if I ever have the financial resources I'd be tempted by the Van Nicholas Zion Rohloff frame. At 3.2 pounds that would save a good bit of weight.

DavidC

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 08:54:03 pm »
I'm not saying the enduro isn't great (it is). I love the way it handles, I love the way the frame feels, and the Rohloff is great. But here's the thing. My enduro was in the bike shop recently, so I took my old hard tale to glentress. Its a cannondale F700, with fatty D headshock. Having not used it for a while, the difference on the uphills was quite noticeable. The tower climb on the black route was so much easier, and redemption was not quite as "humbling" as it usually is. Sure it was harsh, and the downhills weren't as much fun, and the gears drove me nuts, but it sure few up hill.

Maybe I just need to "get over it" and the weight is the price I need to pay, but can you have the best of both worlds?