Author Topic: What's a good car rack for 3 bikes?  (Read 1733 times)

Steve Lord

What's a good car rack for 3 bikes?
« on: March 22, 2009, 12:00:06 pm »
I only have an occasional need to carry more than one bike, which is easily stuffed in the back of my Berlingo (small minivan sort of thing with big tailgate) but I'll need to carry 3 bikes in spring. Perhaps my lbs has a carrier I can rent, or I'll have to buy. The car-top type seems expensive to me and difficult to reach as my car is quite tall (though so am I) and a lot of wind-resistance. I favour the behind-the-car style such as the Saris 3-bones, which sells for £121 on Wiggle. Does anyone have any experience of the various styles and have a strong recommendation for or against the Saris?  I favour the Saris because it looks quickly removeable and can be mounted high enough that the bikes won't obscure my rear lights.

Thanks
steve lord

julk

Re: What's a good car rack for 3 bikes?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:21:42 pm »
I like my pendle rack which takes 3 bikes.
It fits into a block which is bolted on between the towbar and towball and uses the same electrics for the numberplate/lights.
The drawback is the handlebars need turning and the bikes stop the boot opening.

Sometimes I use the roof bars with 3 thule 'upright bike' carriers, so I can get in the boot easily.
The drawback is lifting the bikes up and down, plus a 50 mph recommended speed limit.

I once used both to transport 6 bikes! I have 5 children and the youngest rode in a baby seat on the back of my bike once we reached the quiet country lanes for a ride together.