Author Topic: Sleeping bags  (Read 2359 times)

neil_p

Sleeping bags
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:33:07 pm »
It seems I'm a very warm sleeper... I bought a RAB Quantum Endurance 250 sleeping bag, and even in 5 degree temperature I was far too hot. I ended up sleeping in the silk liner on TOP of the bag  :D  Has anyone else found that they only need 1 or 2 season bags even for cold weather? Can anyone recommend a lightweight, compact warm weather sleeping bag? I guess the advantage is that even in cold weather I can use a tiny/light bag which saves pannier space.

PS I'm going to sell my RAB Quantum if anyone is interested  :)

freddered

Re: Sleeping bags
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 09:52:19 pm »
Check out Mountain Equipment bags.

Their range with 'Shark Toe' and elasticated middle section are superb.  They still cling to you and keep wrnth in but you can stick your knee out so you are not so restricted and sit cross-legged in them (handy for cooking breakfast).

Superb non-claustraphobic design.

PH

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:13 pm »
After trying several sleeping bags I bought a down camping quilt last year.  It's been fantastic, it has so many options it's suitable for all seasons in a way a bag can't be.  Used with an airbed I'm now sleeping as well while camping as I do at home. Not cheap (even when the £ was stronger) IMO worth every cent.
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Large%20Family.htm

spoon boy

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:49:16 pm »
Same problem here to Neil

I thought considering the extremes I will be experiencing that best to get an extreme minus tent thinking that if it's too warm I can always unzip it or lay on top.

I got a vango 5000 mummy tent a 5 season one apparently.

Super warm..possibly too warm.

A point I would make to serious future touristia's

The sleeping bag is like your bike..try it for size. I didn't just saw the dimensions and thought yup that'll fit..did it eck

I'm 6ft 3 and 18 stone and very broad, this bag offers no movement whatsoever and makes it so uncomfortable that it feels like I have been wrapped in cling film.

So I would advise..see the one you think you want..try and find it local to try for size... then internet the cheapest price