Author Topic: what kickstand is best  (Read 36922 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: what kickstand is best
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 08:01:17 pm »
 :D

Best,

Dan. (...who thought this rather punny)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:59:36 pm by Danneaux »

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 08:20:58 pm »
.... good for instant deployment (just kick it down and that's it) while the Clickstand is a faff (take it out of the saddlebag, unfold it, apply the brake bands), but the reason for the change is that the bike will fall over when being loaded using the Pletscher and has not (yet) done so with the Clickstand.

The downside is that in daily use I now look for somewhere to lean the bike against as I can't be arsed to get the Clickstand out! 

That has been pretty much my experience .... but I find the click stand is very much more stable than the Esge style kick-stand it replaced,  particularly when the bike is loaded up.  I use an old shackle lock bracket to keep my stand easily accessible which takes some of the hassle away.

Photo here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_gale/9308162702/in/photostream/

sdg.

nigelsbicyclejourneys.com

• Born To Cycle
    • nigelsbicyclejourneys.com
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 02:05:26 pm »
Thank you for the replies.

I've only purchased the frame and forks, so don't expect a warranty as described in Thorn warranty document.

The click-stand looks a good idea as having the weight held up above the mass, compared to it being centred on a point below the mass. Simple physics! Just seems a lot of hassle!

Also, all the side-stands have a max limit, which could well be exceeded when loaded up with water for an evening wild camping.

Might have to design-build something of my own    ???

Must say though, the Pletscher looks a pretty sturdy bit of kit.

In hindsight now, I'm wondering if having the side-stand for a heavy loaded touring bike might have been why first, my rack attachment to the frame sheared off, then on the same side a spoke went ??? hmmm.... indeed!

Nigel

ps. Even these snap! http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?nested=0&o=1&page=2&thread_id=38350&v=35
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:51:31 pm by nigelsbicyclejourneys.com »

bikerwaser

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 04:26:15 pm »
this is my home made version:

bikerwaser

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 04:31:55 pm »
sorry , didn´t give a description of how i made it:
it´s made out of 2 bits of bamboo with black insulation tape wound around to partly stiffen it but also to make it the same colour as my Sherpa.
at the bottom it has a rubber foot made out of little bits of inner tube(very handy for so many things)
the 2 bits of bamboo connect with a plastic tube i found laying about in the garage.
the top part that goes under the top tube is made out of an old light bracket
also on the top i´ve use an old raw plug so the 2 bits go together and then i insert it into a sleeve made out of an old inner tube(again)
this then sits on my down tube with the "light bracket" sitting nicely on the BB and the main part in an old pump holder.

mickeg

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 06:58:38 pm »
This is the first that I had heard that there is a warranty issue for a kickstand on my new Nomad frame.

energyman

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 09:32:15 am »
Click Stands - simple, effective & cool !
(not sure what "cool" implies but most things are according to neighbour's children)

il padrone

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 12:23:23 pm »
I have been using a Pletscher Multi-zoom kickstand for the past two and a half years on my Thorn Nomad. Before that I had a Greenfields alloy side-stand on my Giant Sedona..... since ~2003. There has never been any concerns from either of them - certainly nothing that I would consider a warranty issue. I did manage to break the Pletscher in Central Australia, but that was with a very heavy load and probably not loading the bike correctly. Soon after I bought a replacement stand - Pletscher again. To avoid overloading the stand do not pack panniers or push stuff hard into them when bags are on the rear rack. Pack the bags up off the bike, then fit to the rack (easy with Ortliebs).

I reckon Thorn are just covering themselves against 'grunts' who overtighten everything. When I bought the Greenfields from a LBS I was spun a different yarn. "Most people break these alloy stands after 12 months. You'll be back." That was 10 years ago and my son is still using that same stand on the same frame.

All loaded up on the Pletscher. It works extremely well with the bike fully loaded.

Clickstands..... way too much fiddle-farting about IMHO. I'll be in the cafe sitting down with my coffee while you're still securing your brake straps  :P

Quote from: Thorn
even simply, gently lay your bike down on the ground!

Does that not raise potential warranty issues for your Rohloff hub ??  Leaking the oil out and such?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:52:43 pm by il padrone »

energyman

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 05:14:11 pm »
Well I thought, give the Pletscher Multi Zoom Rear Kickstand a try.  Just finished a recce ride for next weeks bike ride and the creeking from the rear stays on my otherwise silent belt bike was amazing.  OK it's alloy frame and not a Thorn iron bike. 

Should I be worried ?

RonS

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 06:48:55 pm »
For those considering a Clickstand but concerned about shipping, the top rate is $11 USD.

For most destinations outside North America, Tom is subsidizing the price, as his cost is around $14.

bikerta

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 10:50:52 pm »
I have just ordered one of the Click Stands and yes the shipping is only $11. The cost of a 5 section max stand (for touring bikes) came out at £30.15 including shipping. If you bought a 4 section stand then it would only be £28.30. I bought a 5 section as the 4 section was getting a bit close to fitting inside my bar bag and I wanted to make sure it did. I know there is a bit of faffing around with these stands, but it will be so much easier than having to always find somewhere to lean the bike against and I have already found out that my Sherpa just never seems to want to stop moving even when I want it to be still when leaning against a wall. It will also help with the loading/unloading of panniers. Another item ticked off the list.  ;D

John Saxby

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 04:10:47 am »
I got a nice compliment on my Click-Stand from a passing German cyclist in the Danube Valley a couple of years ago. These count double, I reckon -- I've found Germans to be sparing in their praise of other people's technology.

Tucking the Click-stand into your h'bar bag makes it handy, and the "Bike Brake" bands work exceptionally well on drop bars. (Dave S in Vancouver says that Tom's regular items, the ones that come with the 'stand, work fine on his Nomad.)

Not everyone is sold on the 'stand:  a recent thread on crazyguy split about 50-50.

I like mine 'cos it's a nice light burgundy colour, a bit deeper tint than, say, a dry French rosé...

il padrone

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 02:24:37 pm »
Well I thought, give the Pletscher Multi Zoom Rear Kickstand a try.  Just finished a recce ride for next weeks bike ride and the creeking from the rear stays on my otherwise silent belt bike was amazing.  OK it's alloy frame and not a Thorn iron bike. 

Should I be worried ?
Creaking? Is this while riding or when using the stand?

Creaking while riding just doesn't make sense - the stand should be stationary, unless riding over bumps when you may get a little vibration or rattle. If it creaks when you activate the stand I'd suggest that it may not be tight enough, but be wary of over-tightening too.

nztony

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 02:42:28 pm »
Another vote for Click-Stand here:

Click-Stand Foxton Bridge New Zealand

The brake bands are excellent too, even if not using the Click-Stand, i.e. when leaning the bike against a wall and not wanting it to roll forward. I got the 4 section and it fits into my handlebar bag, but I usually stash it under the same bungee that is also keeping my orange drink attached.

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 03:05:34 pm »
My votes definitely for a Click-stand and as said above the brake bands are useful even when parking the bike not using the stand
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:08:00 pm by FrogPrince »
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.