Author Topic: what kickstand is best  (Read 36921 times)

jags

what kickstand is best
« on: January 10, 2009, 01:38:57 pm »
can i just ask ,is it worth fitting a kickstand to my sherpa.
i can see the benifit of keeping the bike upright all the time,especally when loaded.
but is it a lot of hassle to fit one ,witch one is best as in strong ,light easy to fit.
oh where to buy,has sjs got them thanks.

bobs

Re: what kickstand is best
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:43:17 pm »
I've got an ESGE one which I bought in Holland (you can get them here which fits near the rear drop outs it works well and saves you having to find some where to prop the bike. very easy to fit and remove.

jimmer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 04:49:59 pm »
Dear Jags,

For an alternative approach try: http://www.click-stand.com/

Yours, James

jags

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 04:56:43 pm »
bob's your a gent,that sherpa get's better looking every time i see it.
bobs tell me is it heavy ,i dont want to add any more big weight to the rear wheel.mind you the only difference i can see in our set up is, i now have the carradice camper on mine and i have my akto in there along with the ground sheet (home made  builders plastic  which is a pain to fold up small) and tent poles and bike spares.
 thank's again bob's.

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 05:02:30 pm »
jimmer i take a look at that ,im in ireland is it not going to cost me a small fortune to get it here .i bough a lightweight stool on line from the states and it cost me more for postage than it did for the stool.but i'll take a look anyway oh is it ant good .

bobs

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 05:31:03 pm »
The ESGE is not that heavy it is easy to put on and take off so I only use when I'm going on a trip. I've thought about the clikstand its very light but have to store and take it out when required.

Bob

bobs

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 10:37:02 pm »
Some stands will invalidate your Thorn warranty.

spoon boy

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 10:47:07 pm »
I didn't know that bob?  best I ask before I fit

nigelsbicyclejourneys.com

• Born To Cycle
    • nigelsbicyclejourneys.com
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 03:10:40 pm »
Hi,

How's your Pletscher rear kickstand holding up?

I'd originally used a Hebie rear stand but this eventually gave out!

The Pletscher looks a stronger item, been casted compared to the plated Hebie.

I'd considered a centre stand, but read the rear stands are a better option overall?

Nigel
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:57:15 pm by nigelsbicyclejourneys.com »

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 04:40:08 pm »
When i was ordering my bike Andy very emphatically said that any kick stand would invalidate the life time guarantee on the frame. I've ordered a Clic-Stand from the USA. www.click-stand.com/Home-Page.html OK there is postage but whats a life time guarantee worth?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:42:12 pm by FrogPrince »
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

John Saxby

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 05:55:31 pm »
I wonder if the Click-stand is considered in the same category (for warranty purposes) as a clamped-on-the-chainstay stand?  Is the problem clamping/deforming pressure on the chainstay, or rust?  Or is the threat to the bike's integrity based on a stand not supporting the bike, so that it falls over?

Anyway, CGOAB has some useful reviews of bikestands: 
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/?o=1&board_id=3597&v=35

I've used the Click-stand & have been very pleased with it. (There is some after-market fettling to be done -- Danneaux is a good source on that, as on so many things.)  Will continue to do so, as I'm not sure I'll have a full frame warranty anyway, having only the Raven frame & forks.

J.

Lemming

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 06:05:35 pm »
I used a Pletscher for a few years with no damage (apart from scraping some of the paint), but have moved to a Clickstand.  The Pletscher is good for instant deployment (just kick it down and that's it) while the Clickstand is a faff (take it out of the saddlebag, unfold it, apply the brake bands), but the reason for the change is that the bike will fall over when being loaded using the Pletscher and has not (yet) done so with the Clickstand.

The downside is that in daily use I now look for somewhere to lean the bike against as I can't be arsed to get the Clickstand out! 

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 06:17:53 pm »
I wonder if the Click-stand is considered in the same category (for warranty purposes) as a clamped-on-the-chainstay stand?  Is the problem clamping/deforming pressure on the chainstay, or rust?  Or is the threat to the bike's integrity based on a stand not supporting the bike, so that it falls over?
Hi John!

Thorn actively discourage kickstands and endorse Click-Stands as an alternative, explained here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/FAQ/prop.pdf

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 07:52:21 pm »
Hard to underSTAND when & why a STAND is not a STAND, ho ho ho...Gets hard to STAND the gaff, sometimes, eh?  -  J.