Author Topic: Has any one used battery powered heated socks / insoles?!  (Read 2232 times)

Cake

Has any one used battery powered heated socks / insoles?!
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:23:02 pm »
I was out cycling in the cold again this morning, the mist came down and the temperature dropped to -2 deg C.  There was a bit of frost on my gloves and my winter cycling beard was frozen solid, but the only part of me that was cold was, as usual, my feet.  Totally numb.

I have had enough of this now, so having tried everything else i am going to invest in some battery powered heated insoles or socks, as opposed to the chemically driven heat packs which stay warm for 12 hours at a time - i want to be able to switch them on and off.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of these and could recommend for or against any particular brand - i don't have any problem paying a bit more for good quality, but i fear that a lot of what is available will promise the earth but actually turn out to be a load of the smelly stuff, so word of mouth will hopefully be my advisor!

Cheers!

Gary.

Chadlington

Re: Has any one used battery powered heated socks / insoles?!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:36:58 pm »
Having just bought a pair of overshoes to combat this problem, did you find they made any real difference or not? I guess not from what you've written!

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 04:22:20 pm »
cake i dident even know there was such a thing,but it sounds the way to go .as long as it dosent restrict your pedal stroke in any way.go for it.

Cake

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 09:21:42 am »
Chad, i have tried overshoes, sealskinz socks, multiple pairs of socks with overshoes etc. but my feet still freeze after 2 or 3 hours! 

Jags, i'm not sure if there are any cycling specific socks yet, i've only just started looking.  Try entering "Thermic" at amazon.co.uk for a brief summary of their stuff.  It seems as though they are made for ski boots, so i would need to them in the flesh to see whether or not they would fit into a shoe, especially at £80 for the powerpack and insoles!

Gary.