Author Topic: Which tent did you use and why?  (Read 6292 times)

spoon boy

Which tent did you use and why?
« on: January 02, 2009, 06:28:42 pm »
Pondering the last throws of my trip and thought the Vaude Voyager was the money

Then I saw on you tube (lots of how to put up the tent vids on there) the vaude hogan xt

now a big thing is made of the tent entry being big enough to store your bike in but it weighs another kilo i.e. 3.4 kg

any one have any tent reccomendations?

I am travelling on my own and need a 3 season two man tent o and I'm 6ft 3

I would prefer the inner and outer to be linked for easy of assembly and dissasembly

I've seen some that have the inner then a sheet and some that have the sheet then the inner

I know it sounds a lot of money but remembering this will be my home for the next 6 years or so, I found the hilleberg nallo 2gt for £449 including full ground mat

What say you?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 07:27:31 pm by spoon boy »

julk

Re: Which tent did you use and why?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 07:52:54 pm »
If you want a tent which is well made, strong, long lasting, pitches as a unit, stands up to bad (even arctic) weather, then the Hilleberg tents are the job. They are expensive to buy.

I have a large active family and four different Hillebergs in use (Nallo 3, Staika, Nammatj 3 GT and Stalon Combi 2), each has worked well. The Nallo saves weight by leaving some features out.
A footprint will usually cover the full area under the flysheet, extend the life of the groundsheet and make using/keeping the tent clean a lot easier if you pitch on muddy ground.

The Nallo is used when light weight is most important. The main drawback is the reduced ventilation of this model.
The Staika is used when a self supporting tent is needed and makes a good static base pitch.
The Nammatj GT is possibly the best all round cycle touring tent and is currently my favourite.
The Stalon Combi is very good for a cycle camp where you stay on each site for more than 1 day. It has an enormous roof insert section giving the biggest area for storing stuff and bikes under cover.

The ideal cycle touring tent has to be the one which best suits your budget and needs!

spoon boy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 08:07:13 pm »
Hi Julk

I had read much about the Hilleberg and it was perfect..apart from the price

then I started to read the reviews and I havn't found a bad one yet...the condensation was mentioned but it also mentions proper assembly

I had seen the competitors tents at £200-£300

I've taken the plunge and bought a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT Tent I am sure whilst my wallet regrets it I won't whilst on tour.

Now here is the odd thing I looked at a price comparison site and saw it for £360, saw where it was coming from and thought..I'll go on the companies direct website

I did, it was £460!!!

So for now I won't divulge the comparison site or the supplier (they are reputable) but will tell you when it actually turns up incase there has been a cock up on thier part

julk

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:23:49 pm »
Spoon boy,

I am sure you will find the money is well spent.

Enjoy your Nallo when it arrives, although it is a bit cold just now for camping!

Julian

bobs

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 08:45:44 pm »
have to agree hilleberg every time.

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:16:52 pm »
I doubt if there is any tent available that is a reasonable weight to size compromise that will last for a full six years of more or less continuous use so you may have to replace your tent at some point during your travels and you should maybe anticipate this in your budget. Groundsheets and zips are usually the first things to wear out and can usually be replaced/repaired if you are in a country that has facilities to do that.

Fred A-M

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 11:11:01 am »
I had the fortune to get a brand new Hilleberg Nallo by inadvertantly wandering into the Covent Garden Field & Trek's closing down sale some months back.  I couldn't believe my luck when I was able to walk away with one for £240, as I'd been looking for some while, but hadn't seen it listed for any less than £400!  Needless to say, I was suitably impressed with it during my cycling stint in Northern Spain this summer.

To answer the question: It's light enough for one person cycletouring (2.5Kg) but will be able to use for other purposes.  The quality is evident throughout and given the £'s recent plummet, it's pretty much going to pay for itself during one weeks cycling abroad in terms of saving on hotel costs.

PH

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 12:35:12 pm »
After not camping for 22 years I started again three years ago. I've been amazed at how much better tents are now.  Even the £80 Coleman I started with was better than the top range stuff from the 80s.
After trying a few tents my criteria was;
Two door for organisation
No permanent mesh, the Coleman could get draughty.
Sleep across the door, I find this far better for getting in and out and it gives more accessible porch space.
Less flappy than the tunnel tents I tried (including Hilliberg)

I bought a Terra Nova Solar 2.2, after 26 nights in it I'm well pleased.   The flatter roof and steep ends mean there's more usable space than the floor plan would suggest.  The two porches are great, I keep all the stuff in one and use the other as the entrance, which means I don't have to bring much into the inner tent.
it's not perfect, rain can form a pool on the flat roof (though that's never been a problem)  Pitching inner first takes more planning when done in the rain.  I takes careful adjustment to minimise condensation.
The only Hilleberg that met my criteria is the Allak, I was tempted, but the weight and price put me off.  If I was going on an extended tour I'd have considered something bigger and tougher, maybe the Hilleberg Staika.
I'd agree with rualexander that no tent is likely to last 6 years of constant use, if nothing else that amount of UV will probably kill it. And if you're using it all the time, you're less likely to take the care with it as someone using occasionally. The advantage of a quality tent is you should be able to get spares.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:44:18 pm by PH »

brummie

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 08:23:15 pm »
Anyone tried or recommend any Bivi bags?

spoon boy

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 09:31:24 pm »
certianly the reviews I've read with regards to hillbergs and condensation seem to be in relation to the vents not being used or used properly

spoon boy

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 12:52:40 pm »
Okay tents arrived..it's the right one and boy have I saved

Hilleberg nallo 2gt

now in field and trek it's £464.99  http://www.fieldandtrek.com/Products/FT/PID-Hilleberg+Nallo+2+GT+Tent-783015.aspx

However if you order it through Amazon..who get it from....Field and trek ! it's ..£360!!!   the same tent from the same sender ???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilleberg-Nallo-2-GT-Tent/dp/B001B7O9TY

Now I've just saved over a hundred quid just by going the long way round

Very peculiar but very rewarding

bobs

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 01:55:22 pm »
As you say very strange. Enjoy the tent. Hillebergs are like a currency you can always sell it later and get back most of your money.