Author Topic: Where are we all ?  (Read 81811 times)

Fred A-M

Re: Where are we all ?
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2011, 10:29:01 pm »
Just south of Lincoln (the UK one !)
Still not sure why I needed all the 14 gears on my RST.

Ha, apart from the climb to get up to Lincoln Cathedral (which I've done), I'd be unsure also!

If I'm not repeating myself, Stoke Newington, London.

jonnystv

• DARE Foundation
Nile Gorge, Ethiopia
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2011, 04:59:29 pm »
Almost at the top of the Nile Gorge, Ethiopia, with my trusty Nomad MkII. 1200m and half an hour down,  1400m and 7 hours up the other side! I'm sure plenty of people have got up there much more quickly but I found it bloody hard work.

I'm actually in Addis Ababa now but the Nile Gorge has been by far the biggest challenge in my relatively limited cycle touring experience. Thanks to all on the forum for helping me find such a great touring bike.

Jonny

http://www.daretoride.co.uk

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2011, 06:10:45 pm »
What wonderful photos and trip, Jonny!  Deep in reading your website now...thanks!

All the best for a safe trip.  You've got the "Adventure" end of things covered!  Thanks for sharing...!

Dan.

Pavel

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2012, 04:32:58 pm »
Sitting here, recovering from surgery and waiting for my Nomad-ick ... no wait that doesn't sound right  :o life to begin.  Ordered but waiting, is there any marvelous feeling that feels terrible, as bad, since being age six on December 23rd?

Didn't think so! ;D

So, I'm laid up in Selma, North Carolina, USA.  Sitting here looking at my backyard where the tent is layed out (the neighbors must think me dangerously weird), where I like to camp and test out tents and sleeping bags etc, while I wait, and wait.

And so I'm very serious when I say that some of these threads, such as Dan's (http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2273.msg16261#msg16261)  are like water in the desert.  Planning, planning, thinking, thinking, itching, itching to start pedaling.

Pavel

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2012, 04:43:30 pm »
Some shots from previous excursions, here in NC.  I've been in North Carolina too long but I do have to admit that it is wonderfully diverse and very beautiful.

The mountains:

The Ocean:

Hey .... that is MY idea of scenic ... at the coast! :) ( my daughter and former wife)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2012, 04:45:32 pm »
(the neighbors must think me dangerously weird)
No worries, Pavel; they'll come 'round!  ;)

Their curtains have stopped wiggling here'bouts some time ago, though they do openly stare now and then at the guy riding by with a video cam mounted to a painter's pad at the end of a broomstick, the one who did stability tests of homemade trailers at night and found they produced colorful sparks when they noisily turned turtle >:( and who keeps doing Tours de Street with full touring kit as he adjusts the load on his Sherpa, who zooms up and down the street at night to aim his headlight. ??? Probably the same one who laid out in 14F/-10C weather on the concrete back patio in frozen rain to test pads and bags to see if they came near their temp ratings (most did not!; the one that did, stayed) and figure what it would take to get them there.

Wait a minute...that sounds like...me, 'cos it is!  :o They probably figure, "Hmm. Eccentric but harmless". When I finally snap, they'll recall to reporters how I was always such a Quiet Boy growing up in the neighborhood. Never a lick of trouble and then... <shrug> "Something just let loose". ;D Must've been those infernal bicycles that did it.

My backyard looks very like yours, except for the Safety Orange construction fencing around the Tent Testing Facility to keep the neighbor kitties from decorating them. :-X

You're not alone. Welcome to the asylum. You've been assigned to the Waiting For Thorn Unit. ;D We've all been there. It may not be Santa, but he'll soon arrive in the guise of a UPS delivery worker driving a Big Brown truck.

So sorry to hear you're laid-up at present, but hoping you'll feel better soonest. Thorn Arrivals are known to produce amazing recoveries...

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:28:40 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Known for it's climate as what you have here isn't always weather ;)

Some lovely routes here along the coast :)

Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Man of Kent

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2012, 12:46:53 pm »
Despite the username I'm in Bristol, UK, sometime to be found working in Bike Workshop on Colston Street: pop in and say hi if you're local!
Ryan

ratzakli

« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2012, 01:49:51 pm »
Hi - I'm new to the forum, although I've been 'lurking' for a few weeks now, getting the feel of things.  I'm a UK ex-pat retired 6 years ago to the island of Kefallonia, Greece with my wife, my dog, 12 cats and a tortoise! (all except my wife acquired since we got to Greece!)  I orignally hail from near Newport in South Wales where I spent most of my working life as a police officer.
The reason I have joined this forum is because I hope to expand my passion for mountain biking to include touring.  I have it in my mind to get hold of a Thorn (having done a fair bit of research on all the options) and ride from my daughter's home in Wales, back here to Kefallonia in May/June next year via (still subject to revision of course) France, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania and mainland Greece.
I'm finding it all very interesting, and this forum and all of you are helping me along with my plans/dreams - thanks!

wildrover

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »
Day before yesterday, I rode the Cades Cove Loop in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. 

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/cadescove.htm

It was the Wednesday car-free morning, and I was mostly alone through this beautiful ride.  Coming around a corner on a downhill, one of the local black bears was wandering along the road in front of me.  I applied my front brake,  SQUEEEEEE!  And the bear got off the road, walking along side of me, eyeing me suspiciously.  Whew!

I'll now consider that squeal a "safety feature".

Holly
(home now)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2012, 03:45:24 pm »
Hi Holly!

What a wonderful ride, and in such a beautiful place! I'm glad you were able to get the time "away" for some special riding, and there's nothing more special than seeing a "BEAR!".

Good thing you had the "squeaky brake" feature, ready to use when you needed it! As we might say in the software world, "That's not a bug; it's an undocumented feature!" -- pretty handy one, at that!

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Best,

Dan.

Swislon

« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2012, 03:48:12 pm »
Based in harrogate, North Yorkshire.

My wife and I ride ride with our local Group on most Sundays.

http://www.wheel-easy.org.uk/

Anyone who is in the area will be very welcome to join the rides, every Sunday at 9.30 am.
There are short (up to 20m) medium (up to 35/40m) medium plus (up to 50/55m) and long (over 55m) rides every week.
So something for everyone.
You can just turn up as there will always be some one there often over 50 riders but we all split up into small groups or get in touch first and i will look out for you.

This Sunday we having an away day to Swaledale. Cars to Richmond then about 40 miles cycling.

Steve

jags

« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2012, 03:58:26 pm »
Still here in northeast coast of ireland dying with a bloody fly and its lashing rain what a wonderful day,
still good to be alive. ;D

Gary (a.k.a. cake)

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2013, 08:53:15 pm »
I'm residing in and riding around North Bedfordshire.

Not a spectacular place to be but not as flat as may be expected.  Actually, I love cycling around the country lanes here!

Gary.

honesty

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2013, 10:17:28 pm »
Taunton, just 30 minutes away from Thorn... which is almost too close ;)