Author Topic: Hub Gear Oil Leaks - Should I be Worried?  (Read 3606 times)

SozzledSteve

Hub Gear Oil Leaks - Should I be Worried?
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:35:32 pm »
I seem to have lost a fair bit of oil from Rohloff Hub. All the blurb seems to indicate that this could be normal, but how much leakage is "normal"? Took sprocket off and checked face seal behind, nothing obvious. But seepage seemed to be coming out around the lock ring (the one with the slots for sprocket removal tool), or possible inboard from behind the lock nut on the axle on sprocket side. Intermittent too, maybe depending on axle or hub clock position. Oil been running onto chain big time, occasional pool of oil on floor - maybe 3 or 4 times since last oil change in August. Anyone else had this problem - is it a cause for concern?

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Re: Hub Gear Oil Leaks - Should I be Worried?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:36:14 pm »
Sounds like you hub is overfilled and venting oil from the breather in the axle, if you look here http://thorncycles.co.uk/rohloffhuboil.html you will see the full 25ml of oil isn't needed

SozzledSteve

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:29:50 pm »
Think I did all that OK, but now just a bit concerned that maybe I didn't get all the cleaning oil out - I think  I could only extract about 30 ml total before refill. There hasn't been any further leaks recently so yes the symptoms could be consistent with venting. I'll be keeping a close eye on it anyway, of course. Thanks for advice. S.

SozzledSteve

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 01:39:40 pm »
It's still leaking, there can't be much oil left in the hub now. I haven't had to oil the chain for about two months and I wipe it down every week. Guess I do have a problem after all, will need to get on to SJS. Damn it!