Author Topic: Has any one fitted a AXA Defender RL bike lock onto a sherpa?  (Read 30655 times)

spoon boy

Has any one fitted a AXA Defender RL bike lock onto a sherpa?
« on: December 27, 2008, 11:47:05 am »
I have seen these on many dutch bikes, koga obviously and wondered if they would fit on a sherpa before I order one

As a quick lock it looks okay

spoon boy

Re: Has any one fitted a AXA Defender RL bike lock onto a sherpa?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 04:53:08 pm »
No takers then?

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 05:14:20 pm »
i dont think i've seen that particular lock spoon boy,i think the cable lock would be better,at least you could secure the bike to something solid like a tree .pole /railings or whatever .
so have you tryed your sherpa fully loaded yet,what about some pic's .

spoon boy

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:29:06 pm »
the axa also has a recepticle to allow an additional cable that plugs into the lock as well as locking the wheel

I will post some pictures jag when my last package from sjs comes within the next few days

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:52:38 pm »
Old thread, still an appealing idea, so...

I considered a ring-lock for my Sherpa, but finally rejected the idea when I couldn't figure how to fit it.  The Zefal HPX pump precludes fitting it forward of the seatstays, and it doesn't appear a mount for the brake-bosses will clear the rack stays (and that puts the lock outside the frame, which seems vulnerable to me).

Has anyone yet managed to fit a ring-lock on a Sherpa?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:01:28 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 01:44:50 am »
On my Thorn Nomad Mk2 - but I don't use the Zefal, replaced it with a Lezyne Road Drive medium. No brake bolt hole so I have the lock that fits to the seat stays with heavy plastic screw-clamp loops. It is a great lock to have there, ready to use with just a key-turn. I can add a cable lock through the latch-bolt to lock it to a pole, or use a cable on the front to have both wheels locked.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 02:13:49 am »
I have a similar lock on my Azor city bike and it really is very convenient!

Is that an ABUS Amparo 4850 Frame Lock? Looking at bike24, I see three mounting versions, LH, SP, and CL. Which is yours?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 02:38:39 am »
Here's a video on installing the AXA lock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGYt7SDTZOo

il padrone

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 03:18:10 am »
I have a similar lock on my Azor city bike and it really is very convenient!

Is that an ABUS Amparo 4850 Frame Lock? Looking at bike24, I see three mounting versions, LH, SP, and CL. Which is yours?
Mine is the NKR with CL mount. NKR means non-key-retained, I take the key away with me on my key ring.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 04:11:21 am »
The AXA Defender looks rather too narrow for the tires I have on my Nomad & that one would likely have on a Sherpa:

while the Abus 4850 can handle at least a Schwalbe Extreme 26x2 tire:

http://travellingtwo.com/resources/wheel-locks-for-bike-touring

il padrone

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 04:27:39 am »
The narrowest point on my Abus Amparo is ~61mm wide. But the widest is not much different, due to the plastic blocks the fastening straps feed through. 61mm is still a good width.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:32:54 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 04:57:52 am »
Thanks, guys, for all the measurements, input, and illustrations; they are surely helpful!

I found a nice illustration of the AXA on a v-brake mount here: http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=220

Still, I still don't think I can fit a ring-lock to Sherpa at the usual location!  I'd have to give up my HPX pump to mount it in front of the stays, and there doesn't appear to be enough clearance beneath the rear rack stays to clear the lock if I mount it to the v-brakes (a location that is outside the frame and therefore vulnerable).

After reading your notes, I pondered placing it atop the chainstays, but I think I might be about 3mm shy of the lock body clearing the bottom of the front derailleur when it is on the small chainring.  It looks like I would have enough chain clearance, and it appears a ring-lock there would also clear the chainrings and left crankarm.  It would keep the weight low on the frame and still be secure inside the rear triangle.  I'm guessing I'd need the NKR version like you got, Pete; the key might just clear the chainrings when un/locking.  Would water intrusion be a problem with the lock horizontal in this location if I use fenders?  Maybe an Amparo like yours would differ just enough to make it possible.

Jim...I sure appreciate those photo-measurements on the AXA Defender. That 50mm opening is narrower than my fenders, but I could work the lock around them for installation. If I could get the tire profile to fit mostly in the 63mm part of the slot, then I might be okay (my 2.0 Duremes are 47mm wide at medium pressure on my Andras). I could always remove/insert the rear wheel with the tire deflated and then pump it up in situ. I'll have to measure this tomorrow morning when I can better see the clearances involved.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:03:03 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 05:17:45 am »
Wouldn't this type of mount do it for your Sherpa? Rack stays can always be bent and modified to some extent. Tubus are good for that.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:20:06 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 05:27:13 am »
Ah, that's the photo I mentioned in the link above.  It looks about perfect at first, Pete, but there's two potential problems...

1) It is a bit hard to tell from the photo, but there may not be enough room below my rack stays to clear the top of the lock on one of these mounts.  On the other hand, it just might.  So much depends on camera angle.  I'll measure Sherpa in full daylight tomorrow so I'll know my clearances (my Friday evening is your Saturday afternoon).

2) I'm a bit concerned about the lock being secure against damage or theft where it is outside the frame tubing (i.e. atop the rear v-brake mounts. It looks a bit vulnerable to prying or cutting and I'm not sure about the mounting bolts, but they appear to be shielded.   By any chance, have you seen a lock mounted on one of these adapters?  I sure wish I had one to look at in person.

Thanks for the suggestions, Pete, they're good ones.  Always open to more ideas!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:48:07 am by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 05:59:46 am »
I think the idea with these locks is that the mounting to the frame is just for convenience but not part of the security system. The ABUS CL mount looks like just plastic & thus easily cut. But that's a waste of the thief's time because the bike still can't be ridden away.

These locks have auxiliary cables or chains so the bike can be secured to a tree or whatever. The ABUS cable is only 100 cm. My Krypoflex cable is 200 cm and some. I am thinking I could just secure one loop of the Kryptoflex in the shackle of the ABUS. Not as elegant as the auxiliary cable clamp the lock provides, but the extra cable length is useful.