Author Topic: Has any one fitted a AXA Defender RL bike lock onto a sherpa?  (Read 30621 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Has any one fitted a AXA Defender RL bike lock onto a sherpa?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 06:22:01 am »
Jim,

I don't know if this will help, but I have a 3/8"/.95cm x 7'/2.1m long vinyl-covered cable. I took it to a place that makes choker cables for logging and had them create a third loop in the middle and put a crimp on it so it would stay.  The cable is no more secure than before, but it is much more versatile, giving two loops for one cable.  I can use it with a U-lock on the rear to lock the front wheel and lock the bike to an object too large for the U-lock if nothing smaller is available.  If there is a post sized appropriately for the U-lock then I use the extra loop to secure my saddle.  It worked nicely during my many years of commuting to university, but is bulky enough to fill the outline of a daypack interior and weighs 1.87lb/ .85kg.

When I don't use the extra loop, I have the full length to employ as I wish.

If your Kryptoflex isn't self-coiling, this might be a helpful mod to consider; it cost me only USD$5 and doubled the cable's usefulness.

Best,

Dan.  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:23:45 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 06:48:20 am »
I think the idea with these locks is that the mounting to the frame is just for convenience but not part of the security system. The ABUS CL mount looks like just plastic & thus easily cut. But that's a waste of the thief's time because the bike still can't be ridden away.
Yes, it is not an ultimate-secure lock, but if the mounts are ever cut (tricky without severely damaging the frame) the lock is still on the wheel. And I have pitlocks as well, so the wheel can't be removed.

These locks have auxiliary cables or chains so the bike can be secured to a tree or whatever. The ABUS cable is only 100 cm. My Krypoflex cable is 200 cm and some. I am thinking I could just secure one loop of the Kryptoflex in the shackle of the ABUS. Not as elegant as the auxiliary cable clamp the lock provides, but the extra cable length is useful.
I have this cable. The cable can be looped around the pole like this and the end can be placed in the lock.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:45:18 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 09:34:25 pm »
Hi All!

Finally figured how to free-up space in my Sherpa for a ring-lock *and* use the Zefal HPX pump.  Yay!

See: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3896.msg19454#msg19454
...and...
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4148.msg18856#msg18856

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:06:47 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 07:54:26 am »
Hi All!

For those who like the summary first, I have settled on an AXA Defender ring-lock, a 1.5m/10mm core plug-in cable, and the option to carry my Kryptonite Evo-2000 U-lock. Add Atomic22 security fasteners ( http://atomic22.com/ yet to be ordered); locking wheel skewers and a custom Atomic22 bolt for the Tout Terrain The Plug 2, and the Plug2/PAT cable/steerer/fork/stem/Thorn Accessory T-bar/front mudguard/SON28 dynohub are all secured. Add two more Atomic 22 bolts, and the IQ Cyo R is secured as well. The motion-detecting alarm will tell me if someone tampers with the bags or bike and will hopefully serve as a deterrent.

For those wishing a bit more detail, read on...

After finding a way to mount a ring lock on my Sherpa and use my Zefal HPX2 frame pump, I started the search in earnest for the best ring-lock for my needs. I may have outsmarted myself, but here is the reasoning for my choice, which has me feeling a bit uneasy at present...

A ring-lock is ideal for preventing a snatch-and-grab ride-away theft when you're off the bike (assuming the ring-lock is...locked). The bike can still be removed by carrying the rear wheel, but it cannot be ridden. The concept really appealed a couple weeks ago when I stopped on a bridge to remove the cycling tights I had over my shorts. While I was immobilized with one leg still in the tights, a passerby pointed out he could have taken the bike. An ideal situation for a ring-lock.

Of course, the ring-lock alone does nothing to secure the bike to a stationary object. For that, you need to choose a ring-lock that accepts a plug-in cable (for lesser security) or chain (for higher security), alone or combined with another lock if the bike is to be left alone for a time. After reading a number of German and Dutch bicycle lock and security tests, there appear to be three real candidates for secure ringlocks that will also accept plug-in cables of chains (in no particular order):

1) AXA Defender http://www.axacompany.com/EE/en/axasite/products
2) Abus Amparo 4850 http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?ScreenLang=us&sid=135845364082613220520125013763107&select=0104b04&ArtikelGrID=10
3) Trelock RS 445 AZ P (ZR 405) http://www.trelock.de/web/en/produkte/fahrrad-schloesser/rahmenschloesser/8002528_RS_445_AZ_P_%28ZR_405%29.php

After a lot of thought, careful measurement, and examination, I went with the AXA Defender for these reasons:
1) Available in all-black to blend in well with the Sherpa's matte black finish; I decided to go with the surprise element here.
2) Low-profile, ergonomic lock lever won't catch on floppy rain pants.
3) Forward-facing actuation slot to minimize possibility of dirt-clogging.
4) Alternative ATB mount with standoff to prevent grit and corrosion from getting between the lock and seatstays, and allows ready removal and replacement if needed. The default "spam-key" straps are good for only one mounting, and the plastic retainers on the Abus aren't intended for repeated installations and removals. Pics of the ATB mount with video here:
http://www.cantitoeroad.com/locks/frame-locks-mounting-hardware/atb-mounting-set-for-defender-frame-lock
5) Symmetrical design that appealed to me.
6) Right-angle or folding keys; either has a low, no-snag profile within the ring-lock outline.
7) By default, the key is retained when the lock is open, so I won't forget my key at home. A wrist coil will keep it with me off the (locked) bike.
9) Three height-adjustable mounting slots to allow exact placement with the fender clearance I have.
9) Narrower opening than Aubus or Trelock makes for greater shielding of the lock-ring from bolt cutters. At 50mm, the opening will just accept my 26x2.0 Schwalbe Dureme (47mm actual section width), and the widest opening of 63mm is equal to the Abus, leaving 16mm total clearance or 8mm per side at the widest part of the tire. To avoid fouling the v-brake pads, I often insert and remove the rear wheel when the tire when is partially inflated, so clearance shouldn't be a problem.
10) (Allegedly) no rattles on rough roads when the lock is open (I have read isolated reports of the Abus being a bit noisy in some samples, though the majority seem to be quiet).
11) Greater variety of plug-in cable/chain options.

Once I'd settled on the AXA, it was time to choose the plug-in security. There's a number of options:
1) RLD Plus cable, 1.8m long x 12mm core.
2) RLE Plus cable, 1.5m long x 10mm core, cable clamp and frame storage clamp with 90-degree adjustable head. I weighed it at 400g/14.2oz with mounting bracket.
3) RLC Chain, 1m long chain x 5.5mm links.
4) RLC Chain, 1.4m long chain x 5.5mm links, hardened steel chain, quoted weight of 1kg/2.2lb.
5) DPI 110 Chain, 1.1m long chain x 8mm links, hardened steel chain, Cutting force more than 73 kN, Dutch ART** approved for insurance coverage, quoted weight 2kg/4.4lb.

I figure I need three levels of security:
1) Ring-lock alone for when I am near the bike and want to deter a ride-away theft. Weight is 640g/1.41lb
2) Ring-lock and 1.5m/10mm cable with clasp holder and bracket for lighter touring use with a loaded bike or on day rides on single-track and at remote trailheads. Cable coil shifts to about half-thickness when offset for storage in my bags, and is long enough to go through the front wheel, front Ortlieb pannier security tethers, rear wheel, rear Ortlieb pannier security tethers, frame, and around a solid object before plugging into the ring lock. Total weight for AXA Defender and this cable totals just over 1kg or just under 2.5lb.; about comparable to my u-lock alone.
3) Greater security for when the bike is left alone for a time, as when I am in a restaurant and need to secure it to a fixed object. For those times, I would choose the DPI 110 plug-in chain, as it provides the highest level of plug-in security, comparable to the better Kryptonite chains, but at a terrible weight penalty of 2kg -- typically too much when loaded touring. I still have my Kryptonite EVO2000 U-lock, and it weighs 1.09kg/2.40lb -- half the weight of the DPI 110 chain, and another type of lock. Combined, I could employ...
-AXA Defender @ 640g/1.41lb
-RLE Plus cable, 1.5m longx10mm @400g/14.2oz
-Kryptonite EVO-2000 U-lock @ 1.09kg/2.40lb

If I used the AXA DPI 110 Chain @ 2kg/4.4lb, then total weight would be 3.04kg/6.7lb. I'm better off using the AXA Defender, plug-in cable, and Krypto E-2000 U-lock (two different kinds of locks + a cable) with a substantial weight savings.

Here's a nice illustrated writeup on how a plug-in chain can help secure a bike locked with an AXA Defender:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/commuting-touring-ride-reports/axa-defender-frame-lock-rl140-chain-258840.html

The only hitch at present lies in the RLE Plus 1.5mx10mm core cable I bought today(see pics). To facilitate snapping the straight cable into its neat little holder to make a stable coil, AXA crimped three brass keepers along its length. If I'm not careful, these will take a toll on paint and parts finish with continued use. I didn't see it in photos online nor at the dealer's today; not until I got it home and uncoiled it did I see this flaw. Still, it is workable with care, but takes much longer to use with care than with simple vinyl-coated cable. Time will tell if it is worth it.

So, that's my anti-theft strategy at present. The lock should arrive by early next week at the latest, and the same for the ATB mounting hardware. Full photos in Danneaux's Sherpa gallery when it is all on and mounted. Hopefully, I a good choice. If not, there's always eBay for cost-recovery.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 03:48:33 pm »
Nicely thought out, Dan, though I can't say I like hearing weights like 6.7 pounds bruited abroad even for dayrides, never mind touring.

But then you read the accounts here of bikes stolen, and the terrible accounts of the drug addicts you sent me references to, and it starts to seem a small sacrifice.

Those Atomic 22s in some instances cost more than than the component they are supposed to protect!

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 08:41:14 am »
Hi All,

I installed my new AXA Defender lock on Sherpa today, and all went well. Yay, success at last!

I used the AXA ATB mounting kit, which consists of a couple shaped plastic blocks, toothed lock washers, nuts, and a couple vinyl-coated "cup hooks" that wrap around the seatstays. I chose the ATB mounts instead of the supplied mounts, which consist of two thin metal strips, a couple sleeves, and a winder similar in concept to the little metal key used to open a tin of canned meat. The ATB kit allows future removal and replacement of the lock for maintenance of the bike, and it also provides a standoff so grit can't filter behind the lock and grind away at the paint. There's enough room to easily clean the bike when needed, yet the lock sits close enough to be out of the way. Stress is distributed nicely and the lock is really secure. The lock nicely clears the fender and there is lots of tire clearance...about equal to the clearance at the front of the chainstays. I placed the ATB blocks so the mounting arms faced the tire for a cleaner appearance. By the way, there are two sizes of ATB mounts; I got the 16-17mm one for Sherpa's 16mm seatstays. AXA's ATB mounting kit will also fit Trelock and ABUS ring-locks.

The AXA Defender is a captive-key lock...when open, the key stays in the lock. I didn't want to lose it when leaving the bike, and not all my cycling clothes have pockets. The solution was a little wrist-coil keyring from the lock shop. It is light, yet secures the key nicely to my wrist, preventing loss and reminding me the bike is locked. I like it much better than my original plan to fit a little plastic clip to the key. Oddly enough, beyond my worries about losing the key, I have a particular concern about losing it as I lean over a primitive or pit toilet. I've seen cell phones at the bottom of those, effectively lost forever to their owners. I can't imagine losing a bike key in one mid-tour, in the middle of nowhere. That's why I also will be taking a spare key tethered securely inside the Ortlieb handlebar bag. Of course, I will register the key number with AXA-Assa-Basta so I can order replacements in future.

I also purchased AXA's plug-in 1.5m x 10mm steel-core vinyl-coated cable (detailed photos earlier in this thread). As the photos show, it is long enough to go around a post (an insecure one in my backyard photo), through the front wheel, frame, and rear wheel, then secured in the ring-lock. I have found it will also go through the security tethers on my front and rear Ortlieb panniers on the way, preventing a quick snatch of any pannier (the HB bag always goes with me when I leave the bike).

As mentioned in my earlier post this thread, I will use my Kryptonite U-lock for extra security when needed, and plan to get the Atomic22 security bolts for the Tout Terrain The Plug 2 top cap (protecting the fork, stem, T-bar and charging system) and front and rear Atomic-22 locking wheel skewers (protecting the dynohub and both wheels). Add the alarm to alert me if someone is tampering with bags, rack-top cargo, or bike, and I think I have a pretty good solution for my needs.

Moving the pump made it all possible, thanks to Zefal's worm-drive nylon pump peg and Doohicki base mounted on the chainstay bridge.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:25:22 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 06:13:34 pm »
Now you see, all that money spent on educating you in systems analysis wasn't wasted!

Andre "Ducking now" Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 08:17:06 pm »
...all that money spent on educating you...
;D

Gotta do something to get my money's worth!  ;)

A good chuckle and an outright laugh or two at your little day-brightener.  :D

Thanks, Andre!

All the best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 06:59:42 pm »
Reviving an oldish thread ... great info on the AXA Defender which I have been considering for some time. Quick question ... where did you get the coiled wire attached to the key as the 'off-bike' wrist strap? Looks like a bit of telephone handset chord!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 07:07:48 pm »
where did you get the coiled wire attached to the key as the 'off-bike' wrist strap? Looks like a bit of telephone handset chord!
Hi Richard! It does indeed look like an old telephone handset cord (and the thought goes well with my "speed-dialing" of the Rohloff shifter). It is a coiled key-carrier, snagged for the princely sum of USD$1.79 at the key-making kiosk in a local do-all department store. They're made in China and usually come with a split-ring attached to hold keys. They are popular with gym users who wish to keep their locker keys with them while exercising.

It has proven ideal for my needs, and weighs as close as possible to nothing. It is noiseless, doesn't flap in the wind, and provides a loss-proof way to hold my ring-lock key when I am wearing clothing without pockets (i.e. cycling clothes).

Because the AXA Defender holds its key while riding, whenever the key is gone, the bike's rear wheel is locked. The little coil is a great reminder to unlock the bike before riding and a constant answer to the question, "Did I lock it?" when away from the bike. It really completes the ring-lock ethos, covering every contingency for quick and casual use. As always, I do feel a ring-lock should be used with a cable or chain *and* a U-lock for higher security. I also have my motion-detecting alarm.

Highly recommended, and...they come in colors! If you can't find one where you live, give a shout and I can pick one up for you at cost and postage. Most lock shops seem to carry them: http://www.mrlock.com/mfg/lucky_line/410.html Amazon and eBay offer them as well.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:10:14 pm by Danneaux »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 07:24:26 pm »
Thanks Dan! Will have a look at local key cutting kiosks/gyms etc. Have found them too here via Mr Google. Thanks for the offer to get hold of one and to post it. The link ... lots of great colours but I am with you - Stealth Black only!

I have been studying your great posts and it looks like the AXA Defender may be the best choice for my Raven Tour. At present I have a Abus Granite X Plus 54 (great for high theft-risk areas but heavy) and a simple combination lock (probably defeated with a good pair of scissors in under 15 minutes!). The middle ground is what I am looking for when cycle touring. The AXA Defender with cable or chain seems like an ideal choice.

I have been looking at the Dutch Bike Bits web site. Other sites and shops here in the UK seem not to feature this type of lock. Indeed it is not a common style of lock here as in the US. But what is good for the World Capital of Cycling is good for me!

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:26:57 am by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 07:32:57 pm »
'Most welcome, Richard. If you'd like to see more detail shots and measurements of the lock before buying, I have some here, with regards to mounting the AXA Defender to a Nomad's larger-diameter seatstays: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4987.msg25845#msg25845

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 07:50:53 pm »
Thats great ... very helpful measurements. The Raven Tour seat-stays are 16mm in diameter and there is an attachment available from Dutch Bike Bits (older Type 16-17mm) ...

http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=axa&category_id=0&product_id=49

Looks like it will do the job having compared some measurements earlier this evening. Agreed, the older style attachment seems more secure than the newer 'band' type fitting. Will probably first apply some ol' inner tube to protect the paint work too.

Best,

Richard
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:52:35 pm by StuntPilot »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 10:00:17 pm »
Axa on my Raven Tour.
Pleased with it and only niggle is that I don't see it as much of a visible deterrent.
Guess this is a bit nit picky since it does make the bike un-rideable and in itself is a great security device.
I like the key set up and is certainly rattle free and forgetaboutable.

I think I will run security cable though it and around something near the bike when out far from home.

Can I give it a 95%?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 09:48:35 am »
Matt

I think it is good that it is not so visible, at least for touring. A prospective thief may be baffled as to why they can't push the bike away! Good to hear it does not rattle. Fit-and-forget was also part of the appeal.

95% is a pretty good satisfaction rate Matt! The order has been placed!