Author Topic: Cresta Nomade GT Tour  (Read 3951 times)

Phaedrus

Cresta Nomade GT Tour
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:10:32 pm »
Hello,

Through the magical powers of surfing, encountered a Swiss Bike called Cresta, and really like the looks of the Cresta Nomade GT Tour.  Does anyone have information or feedback on this particular bike?  Sadly, all of the reviews I found were either in Swiss or German (I think anyway).

take care,
Bill

pastafarian

Re: Cresta Nomade GT Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:51:28 pm »
If I was going to haul around 350-400 lbs around the world for five years, an aluminium frame would simply be out of the question. There are reasons why Thorn build their frames out of steel. You should stick with the Nomad. I wanted that frame at first but went with a higher spec Raven tour instead, but then my budget was limited and I'm only 190 lbs.

They probably say in the brochure why steel is the preferred material:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/ravennomad.html

julk

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 04:37:48 pm »
Bill,

It looks nice, but do you live in Switzerland? (just seen your post where you mention the USA!)

The Thorn Rohloff eXp looks just as nice, is proven and can be shipped worldwide.

Do Cresta offer a 100 day money back guarantee on a full bike?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:43:22 pm by julk »

jawj

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 04:54:25 pm »
I'm a sucker for nicely-painted, skinny-tubed, 26"-wheeled steel bikes and that Nomade GT is indeed a fine-looking ride. It's a beauty.

However, I suspect the purveyors of this tasty iron horse are based a little further away from you than Somerset and, though I'm sure their English is excellent, their bikes are advertised and reviewed auf Deustch.

There are loads of companies in all corners of the world making nice bikes that will provide you with a long and happy riding life. Many of these companies are based in the UK and, in terms of viewing, purchasing and shipping, it makes sense to get a bike from one of them. I too have devoted hours to trawling teh internet looking for a suitable bike. I then bought a Raven Nomad frame and am very pleased indeed.

Don't forget that the MOST important thing when buying a bike is to test ride it. Spec, colour, price and all the rest are important, but RIDE is EVERYTHING. You can test ride Thorn bikes for several months :-)

Phaedrus

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 07:25:17 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I'm only interested in the Cresta out of intellectual curioisity. 

In regards to tubing:  the Cresta Nomade GT Tour is CroMo - not aluminum... The Nomade Tour is aluminum.

I don't live in Switzerland, but, I also don't live in the UK (sort of wish I did though)...  so, that isn't really relevant, nor is the langugage I speak, nor the language the bike manufacturer speaks.  Geometry is geometry, metallury is metallurgy, and components are components, regardless of the respective language. 

It is true Thorn offers you a 'trial period', but as mentioned, only for a full bike.  I'm sorting through how much I'd save to simply buy the frame, then have it built up over here by PeterWhiteCycles.

But in the end, the Thorn line, appeals to me the most (for expedition tourers).  The attention to detail and workmanship (with potential exception of the paint job - not based on any personal experience) is first class, and it is obvious Andy has done an excellent job of translating real-world experience into a cohesive expedition tourer of the highest quality.  I'm somewhat interested in a Roberts RoughStuff, but not enough so,,, and of course, Mathers is no longer 'building'.

pastafarian

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 02:17:27 pm »
In regards to tubing:  the Cresta Nomade GT Tour is CroMo - not aluminum... The Nomade Tour is aluminum.

My bad   :-X::) The GT version looks tougher.

If you decide to have the bike built up by Peter White it may not be cheaper, but of course if something needs changing and adjusting it's easier to live nearby. The bike builder who assembled mine gave the whole frame some kind of an anti-rust treatment from the inside. It took a few days and added to the cost, but it's supposed to be more resistant now. Can't say no to that. As for the wheels it seems you can get hand built ones from both St John's and Peter White. St John's stock the Rigida Carbide rims which are said to last a very long time, discussed here in case you haven't read through it a few times already: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1813.0

pastafarian

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 11:37:43 pm »
I happened to stumble upon another Swiss brand, dunno if anyone's heard of these. A slightly unconventional design with an integrated rear carrier: http://www.katz-bikes.com/Modelle.143.0.html

freddered

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 12:46:33 am »
The Thorn paint is only an issue on their bike built in UK (ironically the really expensive ones).

The frames painted in Taiwan use Powder-coat and are hard-wearing.