Author Topic: Considering a Sherpa...  (Read 5108 times)

spooley

Considering a Sherpa...
« on: March 23, 2004, 02:11:25 pm »
I spent a little while at SJS Cycles on Saturday and, having gone in with the idea that a Club Tour 700 would be the right bike for me, came away leaning more towards a Sherpa after a good chat with the fellow (sorry, I've forgotten his name!) who showed me around.

I was intending to do lots of web research, but was quite surprised to be unable to find much written about the Sherpa.  Is it particularly new?  Does anyone here have one, and what do you think of it?

I'm a not particularly fit, 6'1", overweight at 18st (114Kg in new money!), 45 year-old chap and I've been cycling again for about 5 years on a Ridgeback Liberty (approx £230 new, 15 speed, Hi-ten frame, 700x35 tyres).  In that time, I've ramped up to doing approx 2500 miles per year, mostly on daily 13 mile round-trip commutes (all weather!) on Wiltshire B-roads but with occasional leisure rides, also on B-roads or along the canal towpath (often based around targetting a pub!).  Oh yes, I also use the bike for weekly short shopping trips, where my purchasing is neatly limited by the capacity of the rear panniers!

The Ridgeback has served me very well, but is getting a bit tired and creaky with all the work I ask it to do and I think my usage justifies spending Thorn-type sums on a 'proper' bike as replacement.  I've also got through a couple of rear wheels (one destroyed by hitting a nasty pot-hole on a steep hill down into Bradford-on-Avon!) so I'd like something more solidly-built in that area in particular.  I'm no great speed merchant, and favour an upright posture so I'm looking at straight handlebars.  Oh yes, I have a Brooks B66 (sprung) saddle which is nicely worn-in now so I'd like to move that to my new bike.

So, I'd be interested to hear any reccommendations on the suitability or otherwise of the Sherpa, particularly from anyone who has used one.

Many thanks in advance, Simon.

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
Re: Considering a Sherpa...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 04:24:18 pm »
Hi
I'd just say, and I'd rather others replied to you really, so you'd not think the info biased, that the 26in wheel with 36 spokes will cope with the load better than the 700c. The Sherpa is a new model, it's a cross between our pre 2000 Nomad, and the current Nomad, both of which you'll find glowing reviews of elsware.

ian

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 02:52:00 pm »
Simon-

I not so long ago I purchased a Sherpa for my wife. It was really her first 'proper' bike (I have cycled most of my life on varying machines) and quite frankly we both think it brillant. I guess you have (rightly in my opinion) foresaken aluminium frames and gone for a decent bike frame. Don't know the actual weight but it is pretty light (you will certainly notice a difference from the cheap hi-ten steel you have), decent component spec and really nicely put together. As you have been down there I guess you have experienced the benefit of having been able to get a decent fitting frame.

The 26 inch wheels will be stronger (there was a good discussion, on these forums I think, about this, if only I could find it...). I have been a 700c man (well 27 inch mainly) but even I was impressed by the 26 inch wheels, minimal noticable speed implications (I guess you are not to be racing), and noticable extra pneumatic suspension.

My only gripe is the rubbish grips on the upright bars, but easily remedied by a £10 specialized set.

Don't know how much luggage you carry, but I opted for a rack upgrade on purchase which was minimal extra money (better to start than decide to do so later).

An excellent bike for the money, sturdy and functional.

Please be assured that I don't have any vested interest in Thorn.

spooley

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 08:08:02 pm »
Ian: thank you for your review and comments - its re-assuring to hear from a satisfied Sherpa-customer.
I'll certainly be looking for a rack on whatever machine I go for, and perhaps a few other accesories.

Robin: thank you for your response, too.  I've pored over the other Thorn brochures and on-line info, particularly the '26" Solo Brochure' ... are the Sherpa geometry and dimensions broadly similar to those described for the Nomad in the sizing table in that document?  I'm poised with a tape measure ready to make comparisons with the basics of my current bike, but the Sherpa brochure on the web site only specifies virtual top tube lengths and standover heights.

(By the way, I have found the web page copy of the 26" Solo Brochure a bit cumbersome to read on-line ... could it perhaps be made available as a PDF document, too?)

Chris Land

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 10:24:08 am »
How much is the Sherpa?  You can pick up a second hand Nomad for about £600, which might be worth waiting for.  They are certainly a great bike and are popular enough that I have seen a couple for sale in the last month... (C+ website has one in 'for sale' at the moment, I think).

c

spooley

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 10:50:55 am »
Chris: A new Sherpa is £700, probably £800 by the time I've added peddals and other "essential" accessories.  Hanging on for a s/h Nomad is a good idea, although I've yet to find any available in the larger sizes which I think I want.

Chris Land

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 12:45:38 pm »
THere was a large one for sale on the C+ site recently.  Try:

http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20429&SearchTerms=Thorn,Nomad