Author Topic: Round The World Cycle Trip  (Read 16438 times)

acousticmotorbike

• aidanpedreschi
Round The World Cycle Trip
« on: November 02, 2008, 07:33:06 am »
After many years reading about people cycling the world, I finally decided to take the plunge.  After lots of research I bought an Exp and as much decent gear as I could afford.  I had intended to start my trip in May and go to the US, but I had the opportunity to see Neil Young in London in June and then the Brian Jonestown Massacre announced they would be playing a gig on 16th July - So the plans went on hold for a few months until the gigs were out of the way.

I've been on the road for over 100 days now (currently waiting for my Iran visa in Istanbul) and if any of you want to read about my travels you can do so here:  www.acousticmotorbike.com

I'm also trying to raise some money for a couple of Orphanages in Nepal, so feel free to sponsor me (if anyone can afford it during the credit crunch)

Aidan

pastafarian

Re: Round The World Cycle Trip
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 08:33:40 am »
Sweet!  :) I just read about those rubbish bins that you found in Romania. Please keep us posted, I want to know how it ends! lol

acousticmotorbike

• aidanpedreschi
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 08:56:28 am »
Of all the great things I've seen and will see on this trip - it looks like I'll be remembered for the Rubbish Bins! 
Story of my life....  ;)

pastafarian

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:35:42 am »
Oops, just noticed the link to the rest of the travelogue. I looked at the newspaper clipping and thought that was it. Sorry about that ;)

jags

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 04:28:22 pm »
amb,great stuff fair play to you ,round the world fantastic,had a quick look at your pic's there brilliant.i see your flying the irish flag  ,dont read many blogs on irish rtw tourers so i hope you make it ,and have a ball doing it.so how is the bike and all the gear fairing out ,have you had any problems .thanks for posting i'll keep an eye on your site hope all goes well best of irish .

acousticmotorbike

• aidanpedreschi
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:38:46 am »
Hi Jags.  I must admit there aren't many Irish RTW's on tour, most of the people I've met have been Dutch or French.  I'm not normally one for displaying flags, but I thought that it might be handy to have one on tour as most people ask me if I'm American or English - which may cause problems as I head into Iran and Pakistan.  Not that anyone has a clue what flag I'm carrying when they see it!

The bike has been superb so far.  The only problem I've had is breaking the chain twice.  I believe that this was because I was steaming up a hill in top gear (or there abouts) standing on the pedals with full luggage and the chain couldn't take the strain.  The front derailer got jammed behind the big ring, but I managed to free it and get going again.  Some guy in a small bike / motorbike shop had a look at it and adjusted it for me (for free), but I could hear the chain rubbing when I changed to the big ring.  I was wild camping at this point and didn't have time to work on the bike during the day, but when I got to a campsite in Cappadocia I spent a couple of hours cleaning and sorting the bike and I managed to fix it. 

I've learnded not to power up hills - which, to be honest, was never a problem at the start of the tour! 
Aidan

jags

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 11:00:52 pm »
tough luck on the chain braking pretty unusual i think ,stay out of those hero gears.
glad all is going well for you ,it's some adventure your taking on how are you finding all the different cultures, any major problems along the way.what about highlights or should i (we) just go to your site.
anyway look after yourself keep safe.
 all the best jags.

acousticmotorbike

• aidanpedreschi
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 04:46:54 am »
The chain break was down to my inexperience, it's been fine since I've stopped pounding up the hills in a high gear.
I'm loving the different cultures and have had no problem so far.  For me the real trip started when I got to Turkey and I'm really looking forward to getting into Iran (have been waiting 3 weeks for a visa) and Pakistan. 

Most of the people I've met on the trip have been great and have gone out of their way to help me.  The people in Turkey have been superb and I've lost count of the free tea, melons, apples, food I've been given.

Highlights?  The scenery along the Danuabe in Serbia was stunning, the people of Konstanicolas (Hungary) were fantastic and I spent a memorable weekend in the town - I'd only gone through there to get to Tesco.  The landscape of Goreme was out of this world and I'm typing this from my hotel bed in Kaysire and as when I look out the window I can see a snowcapped volcano ;o)

Low lights?  It's gotta be cycling along the dykes in Holland, the weather was miserable and there was no protection from the wind, coupled with the fact that there were no shops / cafes along this part of the route.

Aidan

jags

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 01:14:43 pm »
thanks for that aiden.(you lucky sod ) sounds like your having the tour of a lifetime, hope your giving your bike some loving attention as in checking all moving parts ,and the odd drop of oil every now and again.look after yourself and post some pic's.

acousticmotorbike

• aidanpedreschi
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 07:37:30 pm »
Here's (hopefully if I've done this right) are some photo's I've taken in Turkey during the last couple of days.

jags

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:55:20 pm »
ah well done pic's are great ,i saved the second one to my computer.roll on the summer.
thanks aiden hope your still having a ball.
turkey look's a really lovely place to tour where to next.

acousticmotorbike

• aidanpedreschi
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:03:26 am »
I've been in Iran for a couple of weeks now and the cycling here is really amazing - it makes Turkey look boring.  I've updated my blog and I'll try and add some photo's here when I get a chance.  www.acousticmotorbike.com

Aidan

bobs

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 09:21:52 am »
Enjoy Iran, I've read many times that people find Iran a great place and the people very friendly despite what we are led to believe about the country.
(axis of evil ) etc.

acousticmotorbike

• aidanpedreschi
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 09:28:04 am »
The people here are fantastic and very friendly.  They are really big into Western luxuries and culture - everyone is at pains to point out that they are different from the President!

jags

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 07:07:59 pm »
so aiden where are you now,how is everything going with the tour.what about a quick review on all your gear,like what's good what's crap.
sure hope your keeping well keep us posted.
 cheers jags.