Author Topic: Bruce Gordon Rock n Road  (Read 5960 times)

Ecaz

Bruce Gordon Rock n Road
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:32:40 pm »
http://www.bgcycles.com/rnr.html (Rock'n'Road tour)

Any comments, suggestions?

julk

Re: Bruce Gordon Rock n Road
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:22:19 pm »
I admit I am biased, but I prefer the larger range of touring bicycles on offer from Thorn.

The BG offerings look nice, but my Thorn is nicer!

ians

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 01:01:20 pm »
they look very ordinary to me - nothing special.  Or am I missing something?

ians

Ecaz

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 01:07:01 pm »
What about the parts used in construction? I'm not very experienced. Are you pleased with the claimed construction materials? Is it the aethstetics you don't care for?

julk

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 02:14:56 pm »
There is nothing wrong with what BG has on offer, it is just rather limited in choice for the many and varied types of touring which can be undertaken.

If BG is your local bike shop, then talk to them about your touring and get a bike to suit.

Repeating myself, I prefer the larger variety of touring bikes that Thorn produce. I especially like the guarantee that Thorn provide whereby you can purchase a complete bike and return it after riding if you are not satisfied. The fact that Thorn are confident enough to offer this guarantee shows the high fit for purpose nature of the bikes they produce.

I am delighted with my Thorn expedition touring bike and have no hesitation recommending them.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 04:54:02 pm »
One thing I noticed straight away about the BG was that it uses a traditional stem.  While there is nothing wrong with traditional stems there is now far more choice with a modern aheadset.

Another thing that would be a concern is that the front hub looks to have a very low flange height.  This might not be an issue BUT for loaded touring a slightly larger flange is normally a bit stronger.   

One more concern is the mudguard mountings.  From the pics it looks like the bike only has a single drilling in the drop-outs, which will mean using the holes for double duty with the carriers. (A practice that is best avoided.)  Also check where if the bottom of the fork crown is drilled to accept a screw directly though the mud guard.

I also cant see a pump hanger, on a touring bike I would expect one.

- it is small things like this that make a big difference

Sorry if this is a bit critical,  For all I know the ride might be fantastic!

Stutho

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:55:40 pm by stutho »

john28july

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:16:17 pm »
http://www.bgcycles.com/rnr.html (Rock'n'Road tour)

Any comments, suggestions?

Its a dreadful shame when people are dreaming of a particular bike and they fall for something such as this. Look at the forks, they are simply dreadful and look so cheap and nasty. The forks give away a sense that if it fits it will do, but the quality of this type of fork is not good. I would not buy one of these at all.
John.

Amended post due to abrupt nature of original!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:22:04 am by john28july »

Fred A-M

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 06:34:16 pm »
Its a dreadful shame when people are sucked into a bike thats a mass produced lump! Look at the forks, they are simply dreadful and look so cheap and nasty. I would not buy one of these at all. Sorry but thats what I feel.
John.

Just a tad condescending?

What would you say about Bromptons, John?  Aren't they mass-produced?

john28july

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:18:46 pm »
Hello Fred AM!
Just a sarcastic opinion on a freezing cold day. How are you keeping? Are you well?
John.

Fred A-M

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 01:16:51 pm »
Fine thanks John

How about you!!!?

BG bikes might not be your cup of tea, fair enough, but there's no need to put down someone else's interest in such disparaging terms. I suggest you wrap up a little warmer when logging on!  ;)

john28july

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 04:35:15 pm »
Fred AM,
I am OK after my heart troubles but because of the pills I now take I get very cold when it is well-cold! Otherwise things are fine. Just been out on the Club Tour for a rain soaked windy ride!
I have actually updated my previous comment and agree that the original was not very good.
John.

bgcycles

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 06:15:22 pm »
One thing I noticed straight away about the BG was that it uses a traditional stem.  While there is nothing wrong with traditional stems there is now far more choice with a modern aheadset.

Another thing that would be a concern is that the front hub looks to have a very low flange height.  This might not be an issue BUT for loaded touring a slightly larger flange is normally a bit stronger.   

One more concern is the mudguard mountings.  From the pics it looks like the bike only has a single drilling in the drop-outs, which will mean using the holes for double duty with the carriers. (A practice that is best avoided.)  Also check where if the bottom of the fork crown is drilled to accept a screw directly though the mud guard.

I also cant see a pump hanger, on a touring bike I would expect one.

About Threadless forks
An Aheadset steerer is available on any of my frames.  I just prefer standard (old) quill style stems.

About front hubs
I use standard Shimano Mountain Bike Parts Deore LX or XT - mountain parts are really durable - I have never had a Shimano hub fail in 25 years.

About fender mounts
All my racks have a separate fender mounting that allow for a shorter stiffer fender stay, so your fenders are mounted to the rack not the dropout.

About pump pegs
A pump peg can be added as an option.

Regards,
Bruce Gordon
www.bgcycles.com
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:18:09 pm by bgcycles »

freddered

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 01:43:33 pm »
Lots of lovely accessories on your web site aren't there?

As for the OP, although the BG bikes look nice they seem very similar to bikes available from British frame builders.

I personally don't see the point in going abroad for something traditional when the tradition started at home and is still available.