Author Topic: Headset upgrade  (Read 3634 times)

harry

Headset upgrade
« on: October 29, 2008, 08:38:55 am »
Hi,

Anybody any experience of the Cane Creek 110 headset or possibly a Chris King?  I wish to upgrade the standard FSA headset in a new frame, would either of these be a worthy upgrade?  Has anybody any experience of making non-standard component requests, mine are being met with a distinct lack of enthusiasm.

Regards

Harry
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:55:19 am by harry »

john28july

Re: Headset upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:47:54 am »
Hi,

Anybody any experience of the Cane Creek 110 headset or possibly a Chris King.  I wish to upgrade the standard FSA headset in a new frame and have been told by SJS the 110 is no better.  Has anybody any experience of making non-standard component requests, mine are being met with a distinct lack of enthusiasm.

Regards

Harry

I have a Cane Creek on one of my bikes. It is the same as a FSA. The Chris King I had on a previous bike was virtually the same too!
John.

bobs

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:16:18 am »
The FSA is a good headset, why not wait until it's done before replacing it.

Bob

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:19:44 am »
I too have had a Cane Creek (I not sure of the model number).  I ride in all weathers and I have to say that I experienced problems with water ingress into both the top and bottom bearings. No headset is immune to this but If I had to choose between the two  I would go for the FSA.  

I have not tried a Chris King - they have an amazing reputation.  If money was no object then I would be tempted to try there Ti headset but I have to say that I would upgrade other parts first,  I have not had any problems with the FSA.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:33:56 pm »
As above both headsets are made by TH industries and use SKF bearings so there can be no difference, the Chris King headsets are good, but think about how many FSA bearings they would have to outlive before you saved any money, I imagine most people would be dead before you started to see the savings!

vik

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 07:49:50 pm »
As above both headsets are made by TH industries and use SKF bearings so there can be no difference, the Chris King headsets are good, but think about how many FSA bearings they would have to outlive before you saved any money, I imagine most people would be dead before you started to see the savings!

The other thing is that in the language of bike thieves "Chris King" translates as "steal me"... :-[
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

jawj

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 09:18:40 am »
Well said, Vik. I was concerned about that when I fitted a CK headset to my Raven Nomad so simply painted over the brash "Chris King" logos with black touch-up paint.

I get a headset that will last forever (especially with mudguards fitted) and it doesnt look bling at all.

vik

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 04:08:54 pm »
Well said, Vik. I was concerned about that when I fitted a CK headset to my Raven Nomad so simply painted over the brash "Chris King" logos with black touch-up paint.

I get a headset that will last forever (especially with mudguards fitted) and it doesnt look bling at all.

As note you can buy Chris King headsets without the logo. Rivendell had them and I'm assuming other shops can get them.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

harry

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 04:57:44 pm »
Thanks all for your responses.
Vik, Chris King are in process of changing their headsets to what they're calling 'Sotto Voce' ie understated laser etched logos from now on.  Hopefully less attractive to the criminals.
Regret so exasperated by Thorn's 'we know what's good for you' attitude have decided to go elsewhere for a frame. If buying a frame for several hundred quid a customer should be able to specify whatever headset they like if willing to pay for it.  Swapping headsets in a new frame is apparently too much "hassle".

Regards

Harry

bobs

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 05:36:02 pm »
Seems a pity to compromise on the frame for the sake of a headset. I bought my sherpa frame and it came with the FSA headset (no complaints) .  It would have been no problem to get your LBS to change it.

Bob

jawj

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 05:59:29 pm »
Ooh, what frame are you thinking of now, Harry?

As Bob says though, it does seem a shame. Perhaps you could just roll with the FSA headset, which is very good and does last a jolly long time, until it dies in the far future and then upgrade to a CK?