Author Topic: Some new products  (Read 13755 times)

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Some new products
« on: October 26, 2008, 08:49:12 pm »
Hi, Just thought I would start a post with some of our latest additions to the online store which are a bit intresting

1. Drop bar ends for flat bars!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Origin8-Origin8-Pro-pulsion-road-ends-drop-bar-bar-ends-black-18606.htm

2. Handy chain made of 1/2 links for SS or hub gear use!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lkid/82/product-Gusset-Gusset-Slink-Chain-3-32-1-2-x-3-32-100L-Slotted-Cranked-Links-(made-entirely-of-half-links)-18265.htm

3. Proper brake levers for drop bars and V brakes!!!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Tektro-Tektro-RL520-Aero-V-brake-levers-(for-ROAD-drop-bars-with-V-brakes)--per-pair-Black-14956.htm

Any Q's or suggestions for products you think we should stock just drop me a mail

dave@sjscycles.com

Dave Whittle SJSC Sales

freddered

Re: Some new products
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 10:11:01 am »
I can vouch for the Tektro brake levers.  I replaced my Diacompe 287V (junk) levers a few months ago.  Much better quality, much better braking and much cheaper.

As for the drop bar extensions  :'(

I'll let someone else try those I think.  I can't imagine them doing much more than make a bike look extremely ugly.

The chain will be on my shopping list next time I need one.  I tried faffing about attaching a half-link to my existing chain and it didn't fit properly.  Does anyone know if this has a 'powerlink' or do you have to use a rivet-extractor to re-join it?

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 11:05:11 am »
Does anyone know if this has a 'powerlink' or do you have to use a rivet-extractor to re-join it?
If there is a half link powerlink then they have got a winner! I love the ability to quickly and easily remove my chain. It is only the lack of a powerlink that will be stopping me from using this chain.

freddered

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 01:19:30 pm »
If there is a half link powerlink then they have got a winner! I love the ability to quickly and easily remove my chain. It is only the lack of a powerlink that will be stopping me from using this chain.

Exactly, being able to knock out a half link every year and quickly re-join chain sounds perfect as 1 link is annoyingly slightly too much for my eccentric BB adjustment to deal with unless the chain is very slack.

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 09:00:09 pm »
No power link i'm afraid lads (or ladettes) would be vitualy impossible if you think about it.

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:01:59 pm »
I'll let someone else try those I think.  I can't imagine them doing much more than make a bike look extremely ugly.

But very handy to get a drop position with Rohloff and V brakes!!

bobs

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:11:26 pm »
Sorry, but it just looks a mess!

Fred A-M

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:56:06 pm »
I like the idea of plugging thorn-related products of interest on the site nonetheless, a welcome addition for those of us who are a little too pressed time-wise to frequently browse cycling mag reviews/ads. 

I also welcome the presence of an (other) SJS contributor to the site to help ensure objective technical representation, something that I felt the site has lacked on the odd occassion.

jimmer

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 07:59:48 am »
Dear All,

I likewise welcome input from the sjs team.

The drop extensions are an interesting development. Interesting as in truly wierd. Having said that at present most of the riding I'm doing on my Catalyst is in preparation for a Brum to JOG next summer. My companions are on 700c road bikes, I've yet to get one (thinking of cyclosportif or an audax) as my employers cycle to work scheme won't start 'till April '09 and I figure train hard, ride easy. Such a set up may make training at least easier, if not negate the need to get a new bike.

With most straight or riser bars they would give a very wide position, reducing aerodynamic efficiency.

Would the straight sections at the end of extension allow direct fitting of a Rohloff changer? If so bring 'em on. Makes many options possible.

Yours, James

freddered

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 03:33:31 pm »
But very handy to get a drop position with Rohloff and V brakes!!

Initially I thought that looked like a good way to have many hand positions (flats, drops, hoods) but I'm wondering just how wide that setup is, it looks very wide.

rualexander

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 03:42:32 pm »
I reckon that it would be better to have the drop extensions inboard of the straight bar grips and get rid of the straight bar brake levers?

freddered

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 04:09:12 pm »
Agreed, so then you can have regular drops at a regular width (around 40cm), Rohloff shifter near the stem perhaps and wide flat bars for control sticking out from the drops.

If that worked you would have wide, flat bars for control/rough-track, hoods for comfort, drops for aero plus the Rohloff shifter on the bar tops.  It may just work Jim.  Not sure how much force you coul dput on hoods when climbnig out of saddle.

Still kinugly though, but would that matter on a World Tour?

bobs

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 06:21:29 pm »
Why not go for the full monty. ;)

john28july

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 08:17:44 pm »
Now that Sheldon Brown Thorn just shows how a bike that is the wrong size in every way, 'can' be 'made' to fit?
John. :o

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 10:09:51 pm »
The setup uses our special narrow straight bars so the setup ain't that wide.

To be brutal its not pretty but its a question of function over form that setup works really well, gives you decent braking in every position.

Will keep you updated on new stuff if thats what you guys want.

Quite soon we will have:

Giles Berthoud stainless steel mudguards, maybe the bags and saddles too!

Hebie propstands

Kool Stop brake pads

New 2009 Endura

Twenty 20 helmet cameras

Ta 4 now

Dave Whittle
SJSC Sales
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:22:54 pm by Dave Whittle SJSC Sales »