Author Topic: EBB - how tight?  (Read 5011 times)

vik

EBB - how tight?
« on: September 19, 2008, 05:04:26 pm »
I got a Thorn Sterling frame yesterday... ;D  This will be my first EBB bike.  How tight/deep do I need to make the pinch bolts to securely hold the EBB in place?  There was no documentation with my frame with instructions on how to do this and I didn't see any on the Thorn website.

Thanks,

Vik
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

Pallium

Re: EBB - how tight?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 06:23:40 pm »
Vik,
Manual says 10-17 Newton meter, I think that this is too much. I used 10 Newton meter and the bolts went deep, I would suggest something like 8 Newton meter.
regards, Pallium

vik

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 10:54:17 pm »
Vik,
Manual says 10-17 Newton meter, I think that this is too much. I used 10 Newton meter and the bolts went deep, I would suggest something like 8 Newton meter.
regards, Pallium

Thanks - is there an online manual for the Thorn Rohloff bikes I can download?
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

pdamm

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:52:11 pm »
Vik

This page has a link to a Thorn bicycle owners manual

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/downloads.html

Peter

vik

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 03:52:39 pm »
Vik

This page has a link to a Thorn bicycle owners manual

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/downloads.html

Peter

Thanks very much Peter.  I've been to that page an managed to totally overlook that link previously.

cheers,

Vik
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

julk

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 09:20:32 pm »
I would stick with the Thorn recommended torque range, they make the bikes after all. The EBB is meant to have permanent dents made by the bolts.

I have seen it suggested that you should be slow to adjust the EBB when your chain slackens. Letting the chain get quite slack between adjustments allows you to move the EBB far enough to make a new set of dents with the bolts. This avoids the possibility of any dents joining up to make a groove which might result in EBB movement.

Whatever you do, avoid tightening the bolts into the thin part of the EBB. This will prevent any possibility of bolt damage to the bottom bracket bearing assembly.

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:10:12 am »
I agree with Julk.  The three things I've learnt about EBB are (i) don't be tempted to make fine adjustments -slack chains work fine until they fall off! (ii) keep the bolts nice and tight -there is a lot of metal in the thick part of the EBB for the bolts to bight into (iii) be careful adjusting the BB insitu - mine was very tight and the EBB rotated leaving a nasty gouge in the aluminium of the EBB.  I've removed mine twice to clean some minor rusting of the frame and to relube. 

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:49:36 pm »
I have seen it suggested that you should be slow to adjust the EBB when your chain slackens. Letting the chain get quite slack between adjustments allows you to move the EBB far enough to make a new set of dents with the bolts. This avoids the possibility of any dents joining up to make a groove which might result in EBB movement.

Whatever you do, avoid tightening the bolts into the thin part of the EBB. This will prevent any possibility of bolt damage to the bottom bracket bearing assembly.

Wise words.