Author Topic: 3/32 chain gauge  (Read 2745 times)

blandy

3/32 chain gauge
« on: September 16, 2008, 04:14:05 pm »
I've now ridden my Raven Tour for nearly 5000 commuting miles. At the weekend, I got ready for the winter by doing a belated oil change, sprocket and chainwheel flip, and chain replacement.
When I bought the bike I'd assumed single chainwheel and single sprocket would mean 1/8 gauge components, and hadn't really considered the gauge of what was fitted until I came to fit my new 1/8 chain, and found it looking rather unsteady on the chainwheel!
Can anyone explain why they don't supply 1/8 components? Durability is the whole reason I bought the bike, and I'm sure I'd get more than 5000 miles out out a 1/8 chain. (In fact, it needed changing 1500 miles ago - I don't believe those who say they get more, unless they only ride in dry weather).
I've googled for information on this, but turned up nothing.
I'd rather have heavy and durable than light and flimsy - otherwise I'd just buy 10-speed shimano XT rubbish. Does anyone know if I can switch to 1/8?

brummie

Re: 3/32 chain gauge
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:53:18 pm »
i think you'll find Rohloff recommend 3/32 chains & NOT 1/8... i think you'll find an 1/8 chain used in conjunction with a 15t sprocket will result in the chain 'scoring' the hub body due to it's extra width. - 3/32 chains are strong enough for mere mortals, 1/8 are better suited to fixies !

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 11:32:29 pm »
Hi Blandy,
Welcome to the forum.

It is possible to use a 1/8 chain but you are correct that the Rohloff is designed for 3/32. 

I am one of those people you don't believe!  I've got ~11000miles on my hub and I am still on my first chain.  I ride every day (road miles) - it rains every third day 1000mm+ a year.  I almost changed my chain a few weeks back, I was head out to France for a cycling holiday but in the end I didn't get around to it.  No problems to report.

Remember that the normal rules about chain 'stretch' don't apply to a single sprocket system.  I have got no idea what my current 'stretch'  is but it is a fair bet that it is more that 1/8''.

stutho

PeLu

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 10:06:44 am »
Does anyone know if I can switch to 1/8?
I'm using a KMC S10 stainless chain and a TA track wide chainwheel. The chain has also very good lateral stiffness, so I do not need to tension it and just leave slack in it without any problems.
I was looking for a wide cog for a while, but could not get one up to now (may have to make one by myself).