Author Topic: What do you think of this drivetrain?  (Read 3039 times)

diarmado

What do you think of this drivetrain?
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:28:48 pm »
Hi all

Currently building up a Surly LHT for a big trip coming up next year starting in Patagonia and would
appreciate any advice on the following set up:

Bottom Bracket: SKF BAS 600

Crankset - Middleburn RS7 170mm & Hardcoat Chainrings 22-32-46.

Cassette: Sram PG850 11-32, 8 speed.

Chain: Rohloff SLT 99 and Sram PC890, 8 speed

Shifters-Sram Attack gripshits 8 speed

Thanks a lot

Diarmuid

jawj_uk

Re: What do you think of this drivetrain?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:49:11 am »
Hi Diarmuid!
Sorry this reply isn't earlier...

That's a sturdy sounding setup though and it looks like you're specifically avoiding Shimano... (maybe?)

I can't fault your choices but before you shell out loads of cash on those expensive rings, do consider Shimano chainrings. I've used lots of Shimano chainrings and several Middleburn ones in the past and can honestly say the shifting on the Middleburn rings leaves a little to be desired. Shimano do a very fine plastic/composite and steel 32T ring (where you'll probably do most of your riding) that will last forever and will help shifts to and from the granny ring nicely.

SRAM chains all the way, definitely. Any reason for the Rohloff chain as well?

Do some heavy and abusive riding and cranking on your new cranks in all weathers before you go. I have some RS7s on my Raven Nomad that have given me a little trouble now and then. They're very sturdy and stiff (and the £16.99 Shimano square taper BB I'm running has taken well over a year of abuse, kerb hopping, speed-hump jumping and crud with no signs of dying) but the crank/spider interface on mine was not finished perfectly resulting in a very annoying clicking and creaking. I thought it was the EBB at first (and took the poor thing apart so many times!) but removing the spider from the crank revealed a bit of roughness. A small amount of filing and sanding and it's fine now.

If you've already got all the kit, don't listen to me, I'm sure you'll be fine :-)

George

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Re: What do you think of this drivetrain?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 09:48:12 pm »
All looks fine, I really wouldn't use a Sram cassette though.  The ones I have had and seen seem to get really loose as the plastic spacers seem to degrade in extreme use.