Author Topic: NEW - THORN 14 speed hub gear models!  (Read 18369 times)

ken b

Re: NEW - THORN 14 speed hub gear models!
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2004, 09:09:17 pm »
Imagine my horror when I opened the Cycling+ a couple of months ago, to find a bike almost identical to the one I have had made. The Raven would have cost me considerably less with comparable steel frame, but I still have to put up with the torque arm and getting the wheel aligned. The speedhub is fantastic, it makes mixed and undulating riding so much easier. To put potential users mind at rest, the hub does get quieter and smoother on the lower gears after a few months use [ or have I just got used to it?! ]

Noel

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2004, 10:51:46 pm »
If anyone is trying to make up their mind about a Raven - I took the plunge with an Adventure Tour a couple of weeks ago and I am DEEELighted!  I have loved the three Thorns I previously owned, but this is definitely a move in the right direction for me.  If you're poised on the brink - go for it![^]

OHUI

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2004, 04:48:26 pm »
I took delivery of my Thorn Raven two weeks ago. It is superb in every way - build, handling, and mechanically (the Rohloff is a magnificent piece of kit with quick and positive gear changes). Would not contemplate owning a derailleur bike again. So far I've only used it for the daily commute (20 mile round trip) and a couple of longer rides (350 miles to date). I will be using it for a two-day C2C over the Easter weekend, for audax, and for cycling across Switzerland in the Summer.

ahconway

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2004, 09:50:50 pm »
I've been following the progress of the Raven ever since I got my first look at one at the Cycle Show in London last year.

This spring is when I finally take the plunge - but will it be the Raven or the XTC? I'm fascinated with the hub gears on the Raven, but I'm just not sure about the flat bars. Over long distances on the road, I've always used drops - and I can't imagine climbing a 10% using bar ends.

On the other hand, flat bars would allow me to mount a Centric Safe Haven child seat...

Any thoughts on the bars or child seat?

Noel

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2004, 10:32:57 pm »
I swapped from an XTC to the Raven Adventure Tour.  This was not because of any dissatisfaction with the XTC, which I loved, but I am planning an End-to-End ride in April/May and decided that I would feel happier carrying my camping gear, etc., on a sturdier bike, especially as I'm hoping to take in some fairly rugged parts of NW Scotland - Inverpolly, Cape Wrath, etc.
The flat bars were one of the big questions in my mind too, but having made the change I am entirely happy.  I went for the Thorn Comfort bars with Thorn carbon bar ends and have had no regrets.  They are really comfortable, even after 40 miles or more.  Another bonus is the fact that I feel more in control, especially off-road on rough tracks, than I ever did with drops.  The brakes are right there at your fingertips, the gears are (snick,snick,) almost a subconscious action.  As for climbing, it's no harder than with drops.  After all, mountain bikes have used flat bars all along, haven't they?
I'm trying not to sound too brainwashed (sad!) as no-one persuaded me to buy this bike.  I guess the Raven just suits my kind of cycling.

femmcommuter

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2004, 11:10:33 pm »
Damn, I am beginning to get envious - however as a girly thing I dont like the celtic graphic or the branding on the tubes, i think its a bit overkill. I like the simpler traditional approach. BUT I STILL THINK I WANT ONE - ahhh well I can dream - one day [^]

Noel

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2004, 09:26:32 am »
If traditional is your thing, how about the black Stealth finish?  No OTT graphics there.