Author Topic: NEW - THORN 14 speed hub gear models!  (Read 18417 times)

strat

Re: NEW - THORN 14 speed hub gear models!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2003, 07:55:36 am »
andrew,how is the brochure going?

Chris Land

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2003, 11:03:52 am »
How would a bike like this compare to a Nomad or eXp?  Would you ever recommend fitting a Rohloff to one of these bikes, rather than a traditional mechanism?  What are the pros and cons?

(Sorry for such open questions, I just thought that if the hub is that good, why bother with traditional gears on a top-notch expedition bike?...)

Andrew

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2003, 11:39:53 am »
quote:
Originally posted by strat

andrew,how is the brochure going?

We are working on the brochure right now & hope to have a version posted out tomorrow so it can be digested over christmas [:)]

Andrew

Andrew

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2003, 11:47:10 am »
Now Available from Stock! ...
All Raven Sport Tour & Tour sizes & colours!

Andrew

Andrew

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2003, 02:39:50 pm »
***Forum Exclusive***
Hot off the press Christmas eve!

Tour & Sport Tour brochure:
Thorn Raven 14 speed internal hub gear cycles...

Download the PDF version of the brochure now.

Broadband (1MB) - high quality images
Andrew

TonySmith

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2003, 06:16:45 pm »
Chris Land asked how the Raven compared with a Nomad.

I'm also a happy Nomad owner who'd be even happier if mine had hub gears. I use it as an only bike for everything from commuting to camping. If I could justify replacing it with a Raven would I be downgrading? (Thinking about the imported, welded, frame as opposed to the nice hand crafted Nomad one and how Reynolds 531 compares to Thorn 969). Reading the bit about custom dropouts etc. I can see that converting the existing bike isn't really a DIY job!

Also, as I assured my wife that the Nomad was worth that much money (she thinks a bike costs £150) because it would last forever I'd have a hard time spending another £1100+ on a Raven so how about a part-ex option?

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2004, 08:52:25 am »
Hi Tony
Any Thorn owner can PX their bike for another Thorn @ any time, we offer 100% of the current 2nd hand value off the new purchase. WRT to Raven Tour V Nomad, our initial indications are that these frames are very similar, in fact if your Nomad is more than 3 years old, I’d say the Raven Tour was probably stiffer.
As to Taiwan V UK this is more an emotional issue than anything else. To be brutally frank, I’d say that the Taiwanese builder is MORE ACCURATE than our off site UK builder. BUT if you like the look of lugless brass braze, then you've got to stick with the UK.
We are also making custom Raven frames here in our own onsite frame shop, but this is a very expensive option and can't be really justified ONLY on the grounds of aesthetics! As to longevity, well, both framesets come with our lifetime warranty so there's no worry there.
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2004, 08:58:09 am »
quote:
Originally posted by MattHodges

What about using the disc brake version of the Rohloff hub. This would make sense with the tour for off road particularly in muddy or sandy conditions.

Hi Matt
There will in fact be a special CNC plate which screws to the 2 rear mudguard and carrier eyes, this will accept a current disc brake, but better than that, when there is a NEW design disc brake with yet another fitting, we will almost certainly be able to make a plate to accept it!
However, there’s still no solution for disc brakes on the FRONT with a Reynolds fork, only by using a suspension fork can you have a fork stiff enough for the brake and yet also offer some comfort.

strat

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2004, 03:21:25 pm »
Good luck with this forum. Its an excellent way to get in touch with you.  A couple of questions:  On the Sport Tour model, doesn't "springy" rear stays mean "whippy"? And for an average weight rider, what does a moderate amount of weight mean? Would you recommend a rear rack for this model?

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2004, 08:05:02 pm »
Robin (RJC) asked "Is 969 similar to 531/525 in yield strength or something stronger?"
Tony Smith asked "how Reynolds 531 compares to Thorn 969"
I'm sure this is excelent tubing, but where *does* this tubing sit in the greater scheme of things ie. weight, strength, tube diameter etc?
I see from the previous posts that the difference between the two frames is 200grams, what is the weight for a tour frame with the heavy duty forks (less HS & BB)? What is the weight of a sport tour frame with the carbon forks (less HS & BB)?
While I know it is possible to go overboard saving weight, what would you consider the weight of a "naked" (no gaurds/racks) sport tour with carbon forks & standard spec to be?
Sorry for all the weight questions, but I am looking for a do every thing bike or as near as I can get, sometimes stripped down fast bike in the summer, sometimes panniers packed to go visit Granny, sometimes m[xx(]gaurds and rack bag in winter, sometimes short runs, sometimes long audax...etc...just trying to get a picture in my head [:)]
Regards, David.

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2004, 11:23:42 am »
Thorn 969 tubing!
Thorn 969 tubing is made of the same raw material as Reynolds 725, it undergoes the same processes inc heat treatment. How a frame works is not only about which steel is used, but in what diameter, thickness and shape, and more importantly, the geometry of the frame.
We don't quote weights for several reasons:
weights vary from size to size, even between sizes as there is some tolerance in manufacture resulting in difference. If you were to actually WEIGH some of the bikes/frames from other builders, who DO quote weights, you'd find them wildly different! So this is just one reason why we prefer to say, if you don't want our bike, up to 14 days after you've received it, you can return it for a 100% refund, if you're on the UK mainland we'll even collect it again (providing you kept the box) @ OUR expense.
I'm sorry that we can't weigh every frame from each range in every size and post the APPROXIMATE weights, but none of our models are race bikes, a few 100g is irrelevant relative to the other items including the rider @ say 75000g and luggage @ say 25000g
To get this in context our heaviest frame (EXP) in the smallest size would probably weigh near enough the same as our lightest frame (Cyclosportif) in the largest size.
I hope this helps, if you (or anyone else for that matter) would like to discuss this or any other issue, feel free to call me on (++44)(0)1278-441522

Wingnut

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2004, 12:12:59 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Thorn

Thorn 969 tubing!
Thorn 969 tubing is made of the same raw material as Reynolds 725, it undergoes the same processes inc heat treatment. How a frame works is not only about which steel is used, but in what diameter, thickness and shape, and more importantly, the geometry of the frame.
We don't quote weights for several reasons:
weights vary from size to size, even between sizes as there is some tolerance in manufacture resulting in difference. If you were to actually WEIGH some of the bikes/frames from other builders, who DO quote weights, you'd find them wildly different! So this is just one reason why we prefer to say, if you don't want our bike, up to 14 days after you've received it, you can return it for a 100% refund, if you're on the UK mainland we'll even collect it again (providing you kept the box) @ OUR expense.
I'm sorry that we can't weigh every frame from each range in every size and post the APPROXIMATE weights, but none of our models are race bikes, a few 100g is irrelevant relative to the other items including the rider @ say 75000g and luggage @ say 25000g
To get this in context our heaviest frame (EXP) in the smallest size would probably weigh near enough the same as our lightest frame (Cyclosportif) in the largest size.
I hope this helps, if you (or anyone else for that matter) would like to discuss this or any other issue, feel free to call me on (++44)(0)1278-441522

Sorry, I saw the weight for the sherpa in the online brochure and thought you might be able to give a "from" weight.
Regards, David

EDM

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2004, 08:15:15 pm »
Why does the Thorn Raven have an eccentric for chain tensioning and not Rohloff dropouts? Is the eccentric better?
Ed

TonySmith

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2004, 01:55:21 pm »
Well, I took the plunge and P/Xed the Nomad for a Raven last week. It arrived on Thursday and although I'll spend the next few days messing about adjusting things to my liking I'm very pleased with it.

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2004, 02:25:36 pm »
Hi
the eccentric is much dearer to make, but miles better, the wheel just goes back in where it came out after a puncture with no faffing about getting the wheel straight, chain tight etc.