Author Topic: 100 days on...  (Read 3455 times)

Cake

100 days on...
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:30:53 pm »
The 100 days are up, the RT is mine now whether i like it or not!

It was very obvious from the moment it arrived that it would be staying though.  Nevertheless, the 100 day money back pledge is a comforting policy.

I have had no issues whatsoever with build quality etc. etc. - superb.  The choices of optional extras, which i made using the advice, opinions and experiences discussed on this forum have proved to be well founded (thanks!), and the advice on frame size, chain ring size etc. etc. by the Thorn chaps themselves have also proved to be spot on.

I've clocked up just over 2000 miles of very comfortable (punctureless) riding thanks to the Brooks B17 and Schwalbe Marathon Pluses 26x1.75".

I've changed the hub oil once, kept the chain clean using 3 in 1, and thats about it really.  I haven't tensioned the chain yet because its still as smooth as silk and doesn't slap about, so it'll go on for a good while yet.

The hub itself has been a joy to use - i love it.  Very smooth and getting gradually quieter.  The issues associated with it such as noise in 7th etc. just don't bother me, the benefits far out weighing it quirky characteristics - i like it because its different.  Whipping along in 8-14 is heavenly!

The Ortlieb panniers are superb and the Thorn expedition rack is absolutely rock solid.  I have carried a few heavy loads in a completely unfussed manner.  I just use the one pannier for light day rides.

So, all in all, the Raven Tour is a wonderful multi-purpose bike which i would thoroughly recommend to anybody who is considering buying one (despite the recent price increase!) - just do it, you won't regret it!

I was going to insert some pictures but my computer is playing up and if i continue with this i'm going to go destroy it.  Another time perhaps.

ians

Re: 100 days on...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:09:16 am »
Hi

glad you're enjoying the bike. 

I too love the hub.  I can get up hills far more easily than I ever could on my Super Galaxy.  I think the linear gears must have something to do with it.  Just wish I could persuade my wife to get a Thorn then I wouldn't have to spend/waste time messing around with derailleurs.....

ians

PH

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 11:58:17 am »
Glad you're enjoying it, now get the photos sorted ;)

freddered

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 02:22:24 pm »
Cake, you mentioned the recent price increase so I checked.  I couldn't believe how much they have increased.  £350 increase in 2 years!.  I suppose this means they have a waiting list for them.

I'd still buy one at £1449 (although it's getting dangerously close to the Nomad S&S now).

Cake

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 05:35:25 pm »
That is quite a price hike.  I would also pay the new price, but only because of my experiences over the last 100 days.  I suppose thats what its for.  It might make the RT / RST decision a tad more difficult for potential buyers.

Pictures time - i threatened the computer with water to make it compliant...

freddered

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:10:47 pm »
Are you completely sure you have enough bottle cages?

The bike looks great (but I'm biased)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:12:40 pm by freddered »

Cake

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 01:05:40 pm »
I'm sure i could fit a few more on! I'm one of those (sad?) people who goes everywhere over-equipped...