Author Topic: Thorns' cheapest bikebag  (Read 3990 times)

pwward

Thorns' cheapest bikebag
« on: February 24, 2004, 08:48:12 pm »
I risked using the heavy duty plastic bag sold by SJS as a cheap option cycle bag on an Easyjet flight to Malaga this week.  The bike arrived and returned in OK condition. I think it might even help the luggage handlers can see it is a bike.

From Newcastle to Malaga it was accepted without a blink of the eye however from Malaga to Newcastle I was charged their 'manual handling fee' of 21 Euros.  They said it was not packed well enough and was not in a proper bike bag.  Maybe worth considering this info if you are wondering what to do yourself.

Andrew

Re: Thorns' cheapest bikebag
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 09:21:31 am »
Just Returned from cycle touring in Newzealand (by Air NewZealand)and used the heavy-duty plastic bag... Raven Adventure Tour arrived and returned unscratched!

I only had to remove the bars, add some pipe lagging, roll the bike into the bag and tape the end around... simple!

Because the bag was clear anyone handling the package could see it was a bike and seemed to treat it with much more respect than other items.

Because I travelled via Los Angles the bike was well within the weight limit of 2 x 32kg items of luggage as well.

[8D]

strat

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 08:07:19 pm »
Andrew, how did you find the bike behaved?. I am thinking of getting one - or the sport tour.

Andrew

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 10:54:04 am »
quote:
Originally posted by strat

Andrew, how did you find the bike behaved?. I am thinking of getting one - or the sport tour.

Hi Strat,

My Adventure Tour behaved well!
Weather heavily ladened (kitchen sink included!) riding up the passes on the Southern Alps to over 1080 meters or just bombing about on a day ride unladened it was great. The ride with the Twin Plate Crown forks was, as the frame is, very comfortable. Which is a huge help when spending all day in the saddle.

I found the Rohloff perfect for touring, instant gear changes when climbing, no changing up and down chainrings every five seconds on undulating stuff. Simply jump through the gears with a twist of the shifter. It was also great when you stopped in a high gear, say at traffic lights, you can just select the gear (without pedalling!) you want to get going again and when the lights change pull away... simple! Changing from 7th to 8th you really have to ease off, but thats a small price to pay for such a great gearing system. I haven’t had to mechanically touch a thing on the bike, not even clean it! The chain, chainring and sprocket stayed much cleaner than the derailleur bike on the trip.

Which Raven you choose depends on the type(s) of riding you aim to do on it. Best thing is to call Robin 01278 441522 (he is always happy to call you back) and discuss your needs with him so you get exactly the right bike for the job.

strat

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 03:49:20 pm »
Thanks Andrew, I doubt my cycling will be as intrepid as yours,so I will speak to Robin as you suggest.

Andrew

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 04:35:09 pm »

Here's a pic of my Raven Adventure Tour at the top of
Arthurs Pass on the Southern Alps of Newzealand.