Author Topic: Money for a trip?  (Read 15555 times)

Pedaldog

Re: Money for a trip?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2004, 07:23:08 pm »
Thanks for the links and information Dude, it is appealing in a few ways.
I will look at the Ferries from Newcastle as I prefer sea to air and it would mean I could cycle from York at the CTC rally in Late June and go on from there with all my gear ready to use. The free camping for a night at a time is very interesting!
How are the youth with people in tents? In England they find you alone and they would slash your tent or worse so I am a little nervous away from campgrounds!

Dude

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2004, 10:07:36 pm »
Hi Pedaldog!
By rule of thumb, the more remote/secluded the more ok it is!
I would not place my tent to open or close to larger residential areas (or leave any valuables in the tent). Mostly because of my own wish for privacy. There are some high-rise areas in the larger town´s with groups that are up to no good, like in most countries. But these are areas you only pass trough.

I did find it a sad when I returned from my solo trip in April, rode from Singapore to Kunming, China, and heard that a mate of mine had been robbed by a gang heading back from a MTB-ride! I was out for five month and had hardly seen a grim face! But this flaw of western culture is in my view less widespread in Scandinavia. But I do believe that if one is aware of it, and act preventive, it is very unusual that negative situations take place!

Large(population 150.000+) and medium(75.000-150.000) size town´s in Scandinavia(Denmark excluded) are setup differently than in the UK or on the continent. They don´t grow continuously from the centre and out. When a new residential area is added the Council usually leave a forest in-between for people to use for recreational purposes. This more broken up type of towns make it easy for nature-campers to find good spots only 5-10 km from the major town centres like Stockholm, Gothenburg, Helsinki, Oslo etc!

The regulations of public access in Sweden and Finland are very relaxed, as is the population about it since most are into different types of outdoor activities. Most people find it charming to see someone is making use of that patch of grass at the lake, when they are on their evening walk!
In Denmark there is a different general attitude because of the weaker public land access law. They are more densely populated and most land is cultivated or developed for industries and residential areas. They do have a good system of farm-camping that is cheep(at least they had on the lovely island of Bornholm, recomended for cycling!)
My experience of Norway is that they permit nature-camping in remote areas, but not on private land or near cities, but I might be wrong.
If you like to stay close to the town centre and can only find an open spot in sight of a town. Then cook your dinner and put up your tent later in the evening just before bedtime. Do take in account that the sun set very late in the summer, if at all in the northern half!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 10:23:50 pm by Dude »

Pedaldog

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004, 08:05:31 pm »
Stavanger in the first week of July, from there????????????????????????????

Dude

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2004, 08:05:04 pm »
Nice!!! Very senic landskape to ride in! But do bring the best rain gear money can buy...!

Pedaldog

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2004, 07:27:59 pm »
Next question!!!!!
Do I go on the Good Nomad for the fact that I am safe and comfortable with it and there are easily available parts for it or do I use the recumbent as a conversation starter in strange lands?
The recumbent stands out so is it likely to get me into trouble or make it easire to make contacts whilst alone?

Pedaldog

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2004, 06:27:19 pm »
OR!!!!!!!
Do I stay in the UK and use the huge amount of money spent on ferries to Scandinavia to extend the touring and camping time in Scotland and Wales?

Mario

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2004, 08:57:04 pm »
YEESSS!! We have got a result!
(but wot about Germany?)