Author Topic: Money for a trip?  (Read 15527 times)

Pedaldog

Money for a trip?
« on: February 16, 2004, 06:46:59 pm »
I want to go somewhere nice and warm and cheap for a tour.
I would like to go to India again as it's 12 years since I was last there and I would like to go on the Nomad and take a tent for odd nights.
Assuming I can sort out the air travel and things, how much money do I need to have for a decent day with lots of eating food, drinking things and staying in cheapist possible accommodations?
Anywhere else that is as low cost or lower and safe?

Istanbul_Tea

Re: Money for a trip?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 01:37:04 pm »
Anywhere else that is as low cost or lower and safe?

Home?  ;)

Cephas

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 05:03:08 pm »
Cheap? Safe? Home?
I thought you lived in NY, I-T?

Istanbul_Tea

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 06:42:51 pm »
It seems Cheaper than units on the Upper West Side...

It seems Safer than say, ahem, errrr, urgh, Baghdad...

Home- I've named the cockroaches.  ;=)

Pedaldog

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 07:20:44 pm »
Looking at Mid June 2004 for a start point.
Any ideas, info or wossnames are welcomed....!

Mario

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 09:10:00 pm »
Go to Germany, it is the cyclist's paradise. There are long distance cycle paths along the main rivers. I am sure that there are informative websites. The weather is approx. like what we get here. Everything is cheaper especially the food. The natives are friendly, helpful and have a sense of humour!!

Pedaldog

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 07:33:11 pm »
How to get to Germany....
Do I fly and take the hassle of the boxing up for air? Is there another and cheaper way than ferries and trains bearing in mind I live in North West England and my nearest Ferry ports are Hull or Newcastle.

Mario

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 08:55:29 pm »
Have you had a look at the European Bike Express? www.bike-express.co.uk? It is a bus with a trailer onto which you just push your bike.
Or www.bicyclegermany.com?

Pedaldog

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 06:24:33 pm »
Hi Mario,
Was thinking of the EBE as I have had their info for a couple of years and seen them at the CTC York rally. They start in mid May and that is a very definite possibility. I would go out on one route and maybe a different pick up point onthe way back. I want to do no more than 40 or so miles a day with plenty of time for plodding about the places I see.

Mario

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 07:31:14 pm »
Hi Pedaldog, if I remember correctly, one route goes to Basle, just inside Switzerland. There is Lake Constance you could visit. You also could 'trundle' in and out of France. The Danube is worth looking at. There are in Bavaria masses of  barock Churches, and then just zig-zag your way up north (where the landscape generally gets flatter).
I am sure you will love it. Most Gs. speak English btw.
If I can be of further help, let me know.

Pedaldog

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2004, 08:17:02 pm »
Sounds good Mario, thanks.
I have got this years brochure on its way in the post so I think I'll ask here and on the C+ forum for as many ideas as I can get.
The main thing is that I need it to be really as low cost as possible and be camping too.

Pedaldog

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 07:14:59 pm »
New idea!!!!!!
Might use a hairy plin and get to somewhere in Germany. Frankfurt has a few memories that I might like to look at but I don't know the cycling or camping round that way. Anybody here any ideas?

Pedaldog

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 07:17:35 pm »
How about Sweden Dude?
I really just want to go somewhere a bit different and the only real stopping point is the cost so I have to use the Tent.
Any input on that idea Peter?

Mario

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 10:10:32 pm »
Drink very expensive!

Dude

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004, 03:00:57 pm »
Talking to me? Sure Sweden is a grand place for touring! Prices are steadily dropping as the rest of Europe/World is catching up! Prices of alcohol is in fact dropping the most due to pressure of the new EU import regulation. A glass of lager in the cheaper places are far less than in UK pubs, due in large part to weak currency:
http://www.gotlandweb.com/international/practical/facts.htm#PRICE%20EXAMPLES:%20FOOD

Camping is allowed for one night(I stay longer in secluded places!) as long as you don't put up your tent in the proximity of any once house, on their crop or at nature reserve areas with special rules:
http://www.allemansratten.se/templates/firstPage.asp?id=2058

Want to see something very different and have an easy ride I suggest the island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea:
http://www.gotlandweb.com/english/default.asp
Packed with lots of historical sites, beautiful nature and events trough the summer!
Easy access from Stockholm with local train/fast ferries. Ryan Air has rock bottom prices on flights to airports in the Stockholm area.

To many great spots on the mainland to be mention here. If you are strapped for time you need to do careful planning due to the larger distances and a infrastructure that is more spread out!  If you have more than a month then I would suggest you include Norway for a change of scenery.
There is a well developed system of bike path´s in the towns and interlocking trails stretching trough the country that is documented in maps and guides. Not always paved or separate from the motortrafic but the intensity is usually very low. If the roads are busy they will be wider than in the UK.

Trainsystem has over the years deconstructed official opportunities to bring the bike along. The only way now is to brake the rules and bring it in a bikebag(or send it via coach-currier service!). This has worked every time I have travelled but is annoying. Same goes for long-distance coach service. It is in fact easier to get on a internal flight with the bike.

You were asking for a warm place and I must say the temperature and weather differs greatly during all seasons!
Last summer we had periods with more sun and higher temperatures than many typical tourist spots in the Mediterranean. But you never know how it will turn out even if June and August is your safes bet!
Drop me a note if you have further questions!

More info about Sweden:
http://www.sweden.se/
http://www.stfturist.se/STF_INT/sv.asp?LanCD=EN
http://www.visit-sweden.com/gb/frontpage.asp
http://www.sverigeturism.se/smorgasbord/index.html
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 07:07:25 pm by Dude »