Author Topic: Anyone have the Audax Mk3 in "PDJ" form?  (Read 3906 times)

aesmith

Anyone have the Audax Mk3 in "PDJ" form?
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:48:46 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the standard-spec Audax Mk3 that Thorn are offering.  Anyone who has one, I'd be interested to hear how they got on, and whether they changed any bits to suit themselves.  The gearing for example.  I wonder whether it really needs such wide gears (25" to 115").

I have some concerns.  I see the appeal of a standard build, but the price seems quite high considering it uses pretty low-spec Shimano parts, and not that brilliant wheels.   Changes after the event would eat into the price saving made by using the standard build.

Thanks in advance,  Tony S

john28july

Re: Anyone have the Audax Mk3 in "PDJ" form?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 08:47:17 am »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the standard-spec Audax Mk3 that Thorn are offering.  Anyone who has one, I'd be interested to hear how they got on, and whether they changed any bits to suit themselves.  The gearing for example.  I wonder whether it really needs such wide gears (25" to 115").

I have some concerns.  I see the appeal of a standard build, but the price seems quite high considering it uses pretty low-spec Shimano parts, and not that brilliant wheels.   Changes after the event would eat into the price saving made by using the standard build.

Thanks in advance,  Tony S

Hello,
When this particular frameset was announced, it was to be sold only as self build.
Due to pressure from potential purchasers I am led to believe that an optional ready built bike would be available.
If this is incorrect I am sure someone from Thorn will put me right!
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july

aesmith

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:30:27 pm »
Hi John,

On the web site and brochure they list a ready-built-up.  I've not seen any material from anyone who's bought one, though, and I hoped that this question might get some replies from people who have.   Maybe they've not yet sold any of the ready-builts.

Tony S

carpenter

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:52:47 pm »
Hi Tony

I brought a MK 3 PDJ three weeks ago. This is my first 'Thorn' bike and I am more than pleased with it.
Since I brought the bike I have done mainly 40-50 mile rides and two, one hundred mile rides and it is has proven to be the most comortable bike I have ridden.
In trying to find a bike most suitable , I had a top of the range 'Trek Madone 5.9' with complete Dura -ace kit to a Dawes Galaxy and various other bikes over the years.
I wanted a bike that could be used all year round, for all types of cycling and I beleive that the 'Thorn bike' meets all my requirements.

Top marks to Thorn

Keith

aesmith

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 01:01:54 pm »
I brought a MK 3 PDJ three weeks ago. This is my first 'Thorn' bike and I am more than pleased with it.
Hi,

Thanks for the response.   Did you keep the bike as standard, the way that Thorn made it up, or did you change some parts after the event?  Also, may I ask what the reason was to buy the ready-made version, was it because you found it more cost effective than buying the bits separately?

Tony S

carpenter

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 11:47:25 pm »
hi tony
i kept the same spec with a view to upgrading in the future . i chose the ready built option because it seemed good value and because of work commitments i would never have time for aself build.on the pdj write up it says about parts not being top of the range e.t.c which i find re assuring as thorn are not trying to make this version sound top of the range, but as i said before i cant fault my bike and cant beleive a bike could be so comfortable                 

keith

ahconway

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 02:29:52 pm »
How much does a standard-build Mk3 weigh?

Thanks!

Andrew C
www.velofellow.com

ahconway

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 12:55:13 pm »
I just read a glowing review of the MK3 on Bikeradar.com (it may also be in C+, but I haven't seen an issue for a while).

The interesting thing is that it refers to most of the kit being Ultegra, with a complete bike price of 1500 quid.

Have Thorn changed their philosophy on building up customized specs?

Andrew
www.velofellow.com

blair

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 05:15:54 am »
>> Have Thorn changed their philosophy on building up customized specs?
There is a new brochure dated July 2008

There are now 3 build levels:
Tiagra (or Deore) at   899 pounds
105                   at 1099 pounds
Ultegra              at  1399 pounds

Extras:
Carbon fork             125 pounds
XT/DT wheels          115 or 95 pounds
Pro PLT finishing kit    80 pounds

I wish Thorn would put a date on the models page so tragics like me would know when to download the latest brochure!

PedalGit

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 03:48:30 pm »
I've had my Mk3 "PDJ" for 3 weeks, it's done 455 miles so far (longest single ride 102 miles). I thought the first thing I would need to change would be the saddle (san marco rolls), but I have now fallen in love with it, along with the rest of the bike, and if and when I wear it out would replace with another of the same.

The only modification I've done is to shorten the steerer tube (this could have been done at the time of being built if I'd known how high I wanted it). I hve ridden over some quite rough roads and the wheels have stayed perfectly true. So while they may not be "the best" in terms of componants they are well built.

I had been looking for my perfect bike for 18 months, I have now found it and consider the Mk3 to be the best of this type of bike for the money.

Roger.

P.S.

I did make one other modification, before riding any distance I fitted quick release safety clips to the front mudguards, which I think is remiss of Thorn not to fit them as standard.

Another thing I think would be an improvement is to have seperate eyelets for a rear rack rather than having to fit guards and rack to one.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:16:16 pm by PedalGit »