Author Topic: Has anybody else tried one of these?  (Read 2580 times)

Cake

Has anybody else tried one of these?
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:05:42 pm »
Greetings,

I got a new stand today from these guys www.click-stand.com - and its a simple but highly effective design!

I didn't want a stand that fastens to the rear chainstay as i'm not keen on on the leg trailing when it is not in use, a bi-ped type invalidates the frame warranty and a bb mounted stand is a bit unstable with loaded panniers.

I was a bit concerned about where it seats on the frame regarding cables but it sits on the cable guides a treat and the bike is absolutely rock solid.

Gary.

lancer17

Re: Has anybody else tried one of these?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:31:41 pm »
No but i have just ordered one i will let you know how i get on :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Has anybody else tried one of these?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 05:19:01 am »
Ooh!  I have; mine just arrived last week, and I already love it!  I ordered the Max version designed for touring bikes, and it is very stable with a full load.  My 560S Sherpa in the attached photo weighs 60kg with the load pictured including food and full water tanks; add my tent/groundcloth and racktop drybag with sleeping bag/pad and I'm ready for extended self-supported desert crossings in high summer.

The ClickStand is stable on pavement and soft soil (I got the Big Foot end cap, designed for sandy/muddy/soft conditions), and actually seems more stable the heavier the bike.  At last, I can easily load and unload the upright bike, panniers and all in open treeless country-- bliss for this solo tourist!  In windy conditions I just add a bit more lean.  Otherwise, placing the foot about .3m outside the bike centerline seems to work well.  It works equally well on either side of the bike; just turn the front wheel in the direction of lean for maximum stability with a heavy load.

A number of options are available from Click-Stand.  I decided to get the repurposed Topeak pump mount with rubber latch (the one designed to go on a dedicated water bottle mount or attachable with zip ties) and fastened it to the underside of my Thorn 105mm Accessory T-bar, where it is handy as can be yet not in the way.  I also went for additional brake-lever bungees to attach to the interrupter levers I have on the tops of my drop handlebars for convenience sake and to have on-board spares.  For those unfamiliar with the Click-Stand, it requires the brakes be locked in order to be stable when parked.

I really see no possibility for damage to the bike, and it weighs far less than a conventional kickstand .  I can currently deploy/store it from the T-bar mount in about 20 seconds, and I think practice would halve that time.  I like it well enough already to replace it if something happened to it (i.e. if it got stolen or lost somehow).

Tom Nostrant (who *is* Click-Stand) is a really nice fellow who is happy to answer any and all queries.  I can vouch for a happy buying experience and his terrific craftsmanship.  Brilliant product, brilliant execution.

Best to all,

Dan.