Author Topic: sticky V-brakes  (Read 2846 times)

daviddd55

• 19500km Circuit of Australia 07/08
sticky V-brakes
« on: February 16, 2008, 07:50:04 am »
I've just fitted new blocks but can't seem to get the brakes centered again. One side seems to rub all the time unless I back the adjustment right off. I've put a drop of oil on the moving parts but not the cables yet. Is this a cable replacement job?

PH

Re: sticky V-brakes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 11:06:22 am »
I'd remove the cable and see how they move.  If there's any friction removing them from the forks and greasing the studs should help.
I used to use decent quality cables, over the last couple of years I've been converted to using the cheap ones from Wilcos and changing when I replace blocks, or sooner if there's any friction.

freddered

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:16:25 pm »
Back off the adjustment screws then free the actual wire spring so it sticks out .

Get 2 sets of pliers and bend the spring so it exerts more pressure against the stop (ie.  it bends out even more) then clip it back behind the stop.  Do this each side and then do a fine adjust with the screws.

This normally oversomes any sticktion.

Or buy Avid Ultimate Vs becasue they seem to be superb.

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:14:52 pm »
I've also come across problems centering v's when one arm is not moving as freely as the other due to gunge on the barrel.  If fred's method doesn't work remove the arms, clean everything up and add some lube on the barrels.