Author Topic: long trip by train: any experiences?  (Read 3272 times)

Brendan

long trip by train: any experiences?
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:47:15 pm »
I'm planning a cycling trip to Iceland in the summer, and this involves a lengthy rail trip from Bristol to Thurso with changes in Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Does anyone have any comments about carrying bikes on trains? Is it a big hassle? Are boxes or bags required? Can reserved spaces for bicycles be cancelled by the rail companies? Is there a risk of someone nicking the bicycle at intermediate stations? Can panniers be left on the bike while it is in the baggage wagon?

The alternative is just to go backpacking, but the area I would like to cover is too big to walk around in the fortnight I have avaliable, and I'd rather cycle than be stuck inside buses.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

bobs

Re: long trip by train: any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 07:19:30 am »
Travelling by train in Scotland is no problem. You would have to reserve space in advance, but this no problem and costs nothing.(see First Scotrail's website)  Between Edinburgh and Inverness the bike is in the coach along with you so you can sit beside it and keep an eye on it. Between Inverness and Thurso it is a different type of train but it is still secure and panniers should be able to be left on the bike.  It is a great way to travel and done it many times myself, being a member of staff it costs me nothing. :D

Bob

PH

Re: long trip by train: any experiences?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 01:35:19 pm »
I travel by train with bike frequently, with a bit of planning and avoiding the busy times I've never had a problem.  If booked well in advance it's also cheap.  When I did the E2E in 2005, Derby to Wick cost £28 and Penzance to Derby £22.
The Bristol to Edinburgh route has recently changed hands from Virgin to Cross Country. The pricing policy has changed, it looks like it's going to be easier to get a cheap ticket, but there's not going to be the few super bargains that there were.  It's too early to tell if it makes any other long term difference.
In the peak season Scotrail transport bikes by van from Inverness to Thurso/Wick, well they have for at least the last three years. It's very secure, you load your bike and the van gets there before you and waits.  You have to make a bike reservation with Scotrail, they won't let you on without.  That should be easy enough, except my local station keeps telling me it isn't necessary, their computer system can't make the reservation so they assume it's not needed!  I've printed out Scotrails terms and conditions and take this along, I still have to insist they ring them up and make the reservation.
There's also a coach that goes to Wick that takes bikes.  I'm not sure of the details, I met a couple in a Wick B&B that had just come up on it.  It took longer but they said it was an enjoyable trip.