Community > Thorn General

WILL THORN CONSIDER CUSTOM BUILDS?

(1/1)

SPINNERS:
I haven't embraced the compact experience but think that some of the features on Thorn framesets are great. Would you consider custom building? Perhaps, say, a Cyclosportif with horizontal top tube and 130mm spacing.

asterix:

Having owned bikes with horizontal top tubes over many, many years I recently got a compact bike, quite similar to the Cyclosportif.  

I was sceptical about the idea, but having gone to an expert, I took their advice and chose the compact option.  

I have no regrets at all. The bike is a revelation up hills due to the much stiffer frame.  The lower weight distribution is very noticeable when climbing standing on the pedals as the bike does not sway so much, wasting energy.  Despite the stiff frame, a combination of titanium railed saddle and long (aluminium) seatpost keep the ride remarkably comfortable.

As regards looks, I soon got used to it and now see the horizontal frames as being old-fashioned!  

James:
Having ridden and owned both types I don't think there is any advantage/disadvantage to performance and 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. However there is an improvement in standover height but for me little else.

Robin Thorn:
Hi
As a general point please don't post questions to Thorn/SJSC on the forum as we may never read them, please email us directly!
The answer to the question is YES! We will custom build frames, the price is £100.00 to £200.00 more than the regular frame, and the 100% refund if not happy within 14 days option is gone (this of course does not affect your statutory rights!)
Call me on 01278-441522 to discuss. Thinking about it, you could just buy an Audax Classic, pretty close, but lugged and VERY polite handling.

SPINNERS:
quote:Originally posted by Robin Thorn

Hi
As a general point please don't post questions to Thorn/SJSC on the forum as we may never read them, please email us directly!

Oh, really? Well I'm still waiting for an answer to my email dated 07/02/04! But that's not important now.

I just thought that the answer to my original question regarding custom builds would be of general interest to all forum visitors.

BTW well done on creating the Cyclosportif! Even though I don't like compacts I have to say that the one on display is absolutely gorgeous and a credit to your framebuilder. Build quality and paint finish is immaculate.

Time to start saving...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version