Author Topic: New Thorn Forums! what do you think?  (Read 20950 times)

att21

Re: New Thorn Forums! what do you think?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 04:51:46 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by stutho

Hi John,

What you have there is not much of a problem as it only one line but take a look at this http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=196380.0 from simplemachines own forum - there are lines and lines and lines of meaningless signature. You almost don't know what is post and what is signature.  NB this was the first page I tried! I have seen far worse examples before now. Personally I am just not interested in reading about other peoples favourite sites etc over and over and over again.

Hi John and Stuart,

You'll have options of turning the others' avatars and signatures off - meaning their avatars and signatures are still there but you will decide yourself whether you want to see it or not.

PH

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 02:13:43 pm »
I'm in the if it ain't broke don't fix it camp. This forum works fine, simple suites me, that's why I have a Rohloff [:)]
The quality of any forum depend on those who use it rather than the software, I'd rather see more effort put into encouraging Thorn owners to participate and contribute.

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 05:21:15 pm »
I like the current forum and just wish more 'Thornies' used it. If it is going to change then I'm for avatars but against signatures (one-liners are OK I guess but some signatures on other forums are way OTT).

Keep up the good work!

lewis noble

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 08:19:24 pm »
I only regularly look at 2 other forums, but this one is the best by far.  I find it the quickest and the easiest to use, and in another I look at most days, the ability to put signatures seems to encourage a flippant and dismissive response to posts; why that should be, I don't know, but it seems to.

The information that has built up is invaluable in my view, especially in relation to technical issues, problems and tours, and I think we would all want to see it easily accessible.

Lewis

att21

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 05:02:45 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for all your comments so far. I've set up the forum at

www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/

- All the user accounts prior to Nov 26th are there - you have to confirm you password twice for the first log-in. Sorry for this inconvenience, this is due to security check procedure.
- All the posts prior to Nov 26th are there.
- Search performance improved significantly.

We need to run through the testing period, which means all the posts in this period will not be saved. Feel free to test the forum yourself and please give feedback, comments, and suggestions as you do it.

You can leave feedback on the forum it-self, here, or email me (tran@sjscycles.com), Adrian (adrian@sjscycles.com) or Mr Stuart (stutho)

-----
@lewisjnoble:
quote:
The information that has built up is invaluable in my view, especially in relation to technical issues, problems and tours, and I think we would all want to see it easily accessible.

I have no comment on the built up information as I'm not a 'real cyclist' myself. But on the accessibility of the new forum (Simple Machine Forums) - I think the 'easily accessible' is what the developers’ community always want to do with their products - the SMF.

Just a quick reminder, how the forum looks and feels more likely up to the users and the content they post rather than the forums mechanism.

Fred A-M

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 05:24:38 pm »
Surely, it should be fairly easy to transfer the contents of one to the other without any data-loss (ie contents of the last week's postings?).   I've had a quick look, it looks OK apart some fairly erroneous reply stats in some of the forums but will carry on using the old forum until the new forum has the incorporated the last week of postings and is effectively operating thus in realtime!

att21

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 05:43:51 pm »
Yes and no Mr Fred.

It's not easy to transfer all the data from one to another like it might sound. But good news is I've managed to do that - the new forum is currently testing period - I took the data of this forum on the 26th Nov and imported it into the new forum. That's why some of the post is missing.

What I'm gonna do after the testing period is I will lock down this forum, take the most recent data of this forum, import it in to the new forum. So you won't lose any post on this forum but the posts of the testing period of the new forum.

Sorry to be too complicated but you shouldn't be worry. Thanks, g2g. Later

julk

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 08:00:37 pm »
Feedback on the new forum

1. I tried logging on to the the test forum and on entering my password at the second request I am advised it is incorrect!

Yet logging out and back on to the old forum works with my current password...

Something wrong with the transfer of data from the old to new forums?

2. I tried the search function on the new forum - at last it finds many solidlights posts without adding a trailing space to solidlights.

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 08:33:15 pm »
Same here.

geocycle

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 08:34:14 pm »
I had the same problem as julk, incorrect password.  Does the password have to be a certain length or use special characters?

att21

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 09:38:34 am »
Hi, I'll try to sort it out - it worked well on my account so I don't know yet what went wrong.

You can use the password changer here - it's a good practice to change your password every so often though.

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=reminder

john28july

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 11:16:20 am »
Tried to use this new Forum. It rejects my ID after telling me someone has it (of course they do-its me!). Tried to Re Register without luck too. I much prefer this Forum as it works....
John.

julk

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 04:22:49 pm »
More feedback on the new forum

1.I still haven't managed to log on yet using my existing userid and password. I appear to have no reminder for a password.

2.Browsing the old posts, the first 2 I looked at have great clumps of posts repeated  - has the posting data been transferred more than once without clearing the database before each transfer?

I would like to be more positive, but am beginning to get depressed by testing the new forum.
Being able to at least log on would cheer me up a bit.

att21

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 11:07:25 am »
@geocycle, john28july, julk: please check your mailbox (the one you've used to register with Thorn Cycling forum) as emails were sent to you - click on the link and enter your password so you'll be able to log-in afterwards.

@julk: thank you very much for pointing out the repeated posts. I'll fix it next time I transfer the data, this is exactly what the testing period is for. Thanks again!

john28july

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 01:30:22 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by att21

@geocycle, john28july, julk: please check your mailbox (the one you've used to register with Thorn Cycling forum) as emails were sent to you - click on the link and enter your password so you'll be able to log-in afterwards.

@julk: thank you very much for pointing out the repeated posts. I'll fix it next time I transfer the data, this is exactly what the testing period is for. Thanks again!

Done that got the Forum log in. Is this Forum now obsolete?
John.