Author Topic: THE PERFECT AUDAX BIKE  (Read 17003 times)

rhebarker

Re: THE PERFECT AUDAX BIKE
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 09:27:01 am »
Incidentally Alf, it is perfectly possible to run a Cyclosortif with Panaracer 700x25c tyres with mudguards fitted - that's my standard setup for Audax.  You might find it a bit more responsive than the Mk3 (I don't know, I haven't tried the latter).

I did have an Audax 853 but much prefer the handling and responsiveness of the Cyclosportif, and can live without the option of 28c tyres.  Apart from anything else I lost confidence in the 853 geometry after a very scary shimmy descending Cader Idris on the Bryan Chapman a couple of years ago.

john28july

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 10:27:51 am »
quote:
Originally posted by rhebarker

Incidentally Alf, it is perfectly possible to run a Cyclosortif with Panaracer 700x25c tyres with mudguards fitted - that's my standard setup for Audax.  You might find it a bit more responsive than the Mk3 (I don't know, I haven't tried the latter).

I did have an Audax 853 but much prefer the handling and responsiveness of the Cyclosportif, and can live without the option of 28c tyres.  Apart from anything else I lost confidence in the 853 geometry after a very scary shimmy descending Cader Idris on the Bryan Chapman a couple of years ago.

Hello,
I am very very surprised that you had shimmy with the Audax 853. I think it must have been down to some load imbalance as the Audax 853 I own is glued to the road at all times even downhill at 35 miles per hour.
My Club Tour (Winter bike) yesterday stayed true on a fast downhill at over 30 mph and satisfied my desire fully.
I often feel that other factors  require looking into when shimmy occurs particularly with Thorn bikes.
I did have serious shimmy at the same speeds mentioned above and on the same downhill road, on a Dawes Galaxy! It was very unusual with that bike did not happen again and remained a mystery. I no longer of course own that bike.
The Mk 3 Audax is surely a Brevet in disguise but different sizes as I for one cannot get a size which equates to any of my present Thorns.
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 10:28:59 am by john28july »

john28july

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 10:33:49 am »
quote:
Originally posted by bobs

John's bike does look the business have to admit.

Bobs,
Thank you.
John.

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 10:55:35 am »
quote:
Originally posted by rhebarker

Not on my Cyclosportif you can't! I've tried using 24mm Vittoria Open Pave tyres and the front was OK but there was mudguard rub at the rear, perhaps the Panaracers have a different profile. Now that I've got an Audax Mk.3 with mudguards fitted my Cyclosportif will be my Sunday best ('dry miles only' as they say on ebay).

The Cyclosportif is a bit more responsive than the Audax Mk.3 due (IMHO) to the ovalised tubing on the top tube and especially the down tube at the bottom bracket area. I had a custom built Jeff Bruce Columbus Max tubed frame that was exactly the same and they really do surge when you stamp on the pedals.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 10:57:52 am by The Raucous AUK »

robbarker

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 08:44:43 am »
I think the Panaracers are quite slimline for a 25c tyre - I like a racey feel though so they suit me.  Have you tried mudguards as flush to the frame as possible?  I seem to remember having to play about a bit to get them to work but there's plenty of clearance now.  Well, i don't suffer from annoying rubbing sounds anyway (from the mudgurads or anywhere else!)

John - I'm not sure many bikes would shimmy at 35mph - this was probaly more like 50.  I don't necessarily blame the frame; shimmy seems to be a fairly random occurrance and dependent on rider weight, position, front/rear weight bias, tyre type and pressure and so on and so on.  When the system starts to resonate it's difficult to stop it.   You do lose your confidence in a frame when it happens, however illogical that may be.  (Load was a small firmly fixed under-saddle pouch and large rear jersey pockets btw - I'm not quite as minimalist on 600s these days but I believe in carrying the minimum necessary on audax rides!)