Author Topic: THE PERFECT AUDAX BIKE  (Read 17026 times)

stevegloster

THE PERFECT AUDAX BIKE
« on: November 21, 2007, 03:41:46 pm »
Having been a keen follower and also participant of challenging, long distance bike rides such as Audax, i finally built myself a new bike after much research.  The result being a custom built frameset by Argos of Bristol using Reynolds 753 tubing (still limited stocks)with a relaxed 72 degree head angle.  Equipment is mostly Campagnolo Record with compact double chainset (34/50).  Although very different from my other bikes, this bike gives me a more relaxed, sit-up position instead of the more stretched out position of most racing type geometries, but also a very light and responsive bike at the same time. I have only ridden it up to 135 miles so far and without any problems but what do other riders have and why?

freddered

Re: THE PERFECT AUDAX BIKE
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 04:04:54 pm »
Thorn Raven Tour

Because it's so comfy and seemingly bombproof

300Km Audax is my max so far but plan to attempt 400Km next year
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:05:51 pm by freddered »

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:24:48 pm »
I started audax this year and used my pre-owned Thorn Cyclosportif, sometimes with a rack but usually with a Carradice and a bag support. I rode my qualifiers and PBP on it but using 24c and 25c tyres it was impossible to use mudguards so it wasn't the perfect audax bike but was perfect for summer days.

Next year I'll be using a Thorn Audax Mk.3 and apart from being a tad lardy it looks like the perfect audax machine. I've only ridden it three or four times (but including a two-day tour) and it's been great so far and good VFM. I don't like triple chainsets and I've gone for a medium cage rear mech and 13-29 cassette.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 06:44:16 pm by The Raucous AUK »

john28july

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:08:01 am »
quote:
Originally posted by The Raucous AUK

I started audax this year and used my pre-owned Thorn Cyclosportif, sometimes with a rack but usually with a Carradice and a bag support. I rode my qualifiers and PBP on it but using 24c and 25c tyres it was impossible to use mudguards so it wasn't the perfect audax bike but was perfect for summer days. Next year I'll be using a Thorn Audax Mk.3 and apart from being a tad lardy it looks like the perfect audax machine. I've only ridden it three or four times (but including a two-day tour) and it's been great so far and good VFM. I don't like triple chainsets and I've gone for a medium cage rear mech and 13-29 cassette.

Hello,
I actually own the perfect definitive of an Audax bike-beware ALL those who try to immitate.In my opinion of course as a completely Thorn biased writer!

http://www.pbase.com/john28july/853
Of course any bike of any brand or indeed age can be used, but a dedicated Audax bike will come out best overall.
All other bikes will fall short and until you ride Thorn you do not know what its like to ride a comfortable bike that actually does what it is supposed to.
Have fun and be a commedian if thats what makes you tick..........
John.

www.pbase.com/john28july
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 10:32:55 am by john28july »

Fred A-M

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 01:19:45 pm »
John

My bike is better than yours, nah nah nah nah nah! ;-)

How old are you (rhetorical question!)?  

And you wonder why I find your posts comical!? [:D]

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:37:53 pm by Fred A-M »

bobs

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 02:42:11 pm »
John's bike does look the business have to admit.

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 02:48:23 pm »
I rode the last few km's of Paris-Brest-Paris alongside a Scot (Audax Escosse I think) who was riding exactly the same bike as Johns and our two Thorn's almost finished at the same time. Unfortunately, Rosemarie nipped in between us at the finish and was...

a rose between two Thorns

Sorry! I'll get me coat.

Audax hopeful

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 03:32:56 pm »
The perfect Audax bike is whatever gets you to the finish! Comfort is the most important requirement, and to achieve that the bike must fit you but you've only got to look at the huge variety of bikes on any Audax event to realise that it's all down to personnal choice!!

Even PBP is ridden successfully on anything from carbon race bikes to full tourers, fixes to recumbents, tikes and tandems - even tandem trikes!! I'm hoping the Audax mk3 is the perfect bike for me - but I've no idea what's best for you!!

I am seriously impressed by anyone who has actually finished PBP though - now thats a serious achievement!

Fred A-M

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 05:00:36 pm »
AH

Wise words indeed, each to their own, a philosophy that John struggles to accomodate.  

I met a guy called Drew Buck on the way back from Britanny in June, who judging from a recent photo in Arrivee magazine, finished PBP on a bike that looked at least 50/60 years old, dressed in striped top, beret and carrying onion strings.  When I met him, he'd just been to France to collect a bike that he thought may well participated in the original TDF in 1904(?), and had the original receipt to prove the date at least.  I'm just wondering if he completed it on that bike!!!?  He'd also previously completed PBP testing out a Thorn tandem!

I'm finally gearing up to do some Audax events myself, and am hoping that the trusty RST will excel itself yet again!

john28july

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 05:09:32 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Fred A-M

John

My bike is better than yours, nah nah nah nah nah! ;-)

How old are you (rhetorical question!)?  

And you wonder why I find your posts comical!? [:D]

No response required in this instance.
John.

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 06:33:35 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Fred A-M

AH

I met a guy called Drew Buck on the way back from Britanny in June, who judging from a recent photo in Arrivee magazine, finished PBP on a bike that looked at least 50/60 years old, dressed in striped top, beret and carrying onion strings.  When I met him, he'd just been to France to collect a bike that he thought may well participated in the original TDF in 1904(?), and had the original receipt to prove the date at least.  I'm just wondering if he completed it on that bike!!!?  He'd also previously completed PBP testing out a Thorn tandem!

By chance, Drew was behind me at the start of PBP...

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 06:37:20 pm »
And here is Drew's bicycle...

Fred A-M

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 07:34:57 pm »
Small world indeed, I did wonder whether you might have crossed his path!  

Now that I've seen a side view of the bike, I don't think that is his TDF original.  Looks about 40/50 years old at a guess?

lewis noble

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 01:35:47 pm »
I enjoy 99% of the comments on this website, and find John's observations no sillier than lots of other peoples'.  Keep them coming, John, and let's all enjoy cycling.

Lewis

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 03:37:59 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by lewisjnoble

...let's all enjoy cycling.

Lewis

Amen to that, brother. 'Tis a good forecast Saturday too.