Author Topic: Channel to Med  (Read 4985 times)

degsy

Channel to Med
« on: November 16, 2007, 01:21:16 pm »
Although I've cycled in different parts of France over the years, mainly during summer holidays, I've never travelled such a distance in one journey/holiday.  I would be grateful if anyone knows of any suitable routes/books/maps/hints that cover a such a trek.  As I am retired I'm not looking for heroic mountain challenges or riding long distances from dawn to dusk, more the flat, quiet, sedate out-of-the-way country roads.
Any suggestions/advice welcome.
Thanks,

lewis noble

Re: Channel to Med
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 04:19:01 pm »
Looks like a good project!!

I am trying to get info on routes in the Loire Valley - the Lonely Planet Guide to Cycling in France seems to be out of print now.  Any suggestions?  though it should be easy enough to navigate oneself using the Michelin maps.

Lewis

Fred A-M

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:00:08 pm »
Both the Lonely Planet Guides to France and the Cicerone Guide to the Loire are available through Amazon.

Type in "Cycling France"

degsy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 11:00:00 am »
Thanks for that, chaps.  I've had a look at both those books and they seem to concentrate on short tours in a particular region, say the Loire or Jura but not a complete route through France.  Maybe I should try and piece them together, or it looks like I'll have to sit down and plan my own trek.

sardar

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 06:52:38 pm »
We travelled the length of the Loire this summer, starting from Valence, mostly using the Cicerone guideto the River Loire. Although you would have to use it backwards, it could be a good route, plenty of campsites, mostly not mentioned in the guide, all bar one very reasonable

Fred A-M

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 08:12:34 pm »
Degsy, try Trento Bike Page, link below, an excellent resource for cycle tourists : you should find accounts of similar journeys across France.  Depending on whether you've time to Zigzag through France, you could incorporate routes from either Lonely Planet or Cicerone guides, both are excellent.  Once you've decided through which regions, strongly recommend the Michelin Local series (150,000:1) which denote picturesque routes with green, less detailed maps could well force you onto busy roads for considerable stretches.  Enjoy planning your adventure!    

http://www.trentobike.org

Eric

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 12:48:42 pm »
Are you a CTC member? In 2008, they are running two tours from channel to med, takind a fortnight - one in June and one in September. Unfortunately, they are both fully booked already! The route is supposed to be an excellent one. If you care to get in touch, I could send you the outline prospectus by email. I'm already booked on the June one!!

stan

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 07:27:41 pm »
Have you read "Downhill all the way" by Edward Enfield ... ISBN 0-9520603-1-0 ??

It's a delightful read and covers exactly the trip you're considering............  I used it as the basis for my trip although I diverted for family reasons. 

You'll never regret it.......... I'm 74 and had no problems.

Stan

degsy

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 09:43:42 pm »
Thanks to you all again for your comments/advice, they're very helpful.
Stan, I have just bought the book for myself for Christmas so I look forward to reading it.  As to your age, you give me encouragement as I've a few years to go before I reach your distinguished seniority.
Cheers, Derek

georgeidf50

• Touring website
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 12:20:32 am »
If you have the time.
I did a tour down from  St Malo to Bordeaux, Toulouse, Carcassonne, Beziers, Palavas les Flots

Mostly flat and leisurely touring following the Canal Du Midi from Bordeaux

george
touring website :-
www.pedalpatagonia.co.uk

degsy

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 06:30:47 pm »
thank you for that, George

Might be an interesting option to go that way, particularly along the Canal du Midi.  Presumably you went in the summer, roughly how far is it?

Did you use campsites or local accommodation?

Cheers, Derek