Author Topic: Tyre pressures  (Read 12604 times)

TonySmith

Tyre pressures
« on: June 18, 2004, 02:08:36 pm »
I use Panaracer Tour Guard 175s on my Raven, rated at 65psi. This is fine for daily use but when loaded up with camping kit and 3 yr old child I think they could do with more. I know some people, particularly tandemists exceed the ratings and there are even arguments that it's actually safer to overinflate but by how much? Can anyone recommend what I can safely use? 80? 90?[?]

luceberg

Re: Tyre pressures
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 02:39:48 pm »
Hi, the unofficial(Danger Mouse is on the SJSC staff, I think) official line is 90psi.
See this:-  http://www.sjscycles.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=154
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 01:26:23 am by luceberg »

TonySmith

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 12:22:29 pm »
Thanks for the link. I don't expect anyone to endorse it officially but unofficial advice from someone in the know is as good!
 I'm also interested in the choice of tyres. When I bought my Nomad a couple of years ago I had a choice of Hi Road 1.5" or Tour Guard 1.75". After checking the tyre review page I opted for the TGs because I live in the country and ride on rough road surfaces with lots of thorns (of the spikey type). When I traded it in for a Raven the HRs weren't an option. Is there a technical reason for this?

luceberg

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 06:44:46 pm »
I just looked at the Thorn Raven brochure and the Hi Road 1.5s are listed as an option. Perhaps they were out of stock when you ordered your's?

TonySmith

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 01:06:28 pm »
Possibly. I did buy it in January so they were quite new then. It doesn't matter anyway because I'd have specified them anyway, especially at that time of year. I pumped them up to 80psi yesterday and it makes quite a difference...don't quite have the guts to try 90 yet!